Multiple artists/album listings???

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ALLGOLD

Please move this to the app. forum if this is in the wrong place. I searched through MM, Windows, etc. and didn't see anything, except for multiple song listings.

My problem is I just put all of the music I had stored on MM on the Ipod. When I go to Artists it lists some of them like 9 times. They are all spelled the same and I have multiple artists/albums that only show up as one like they are supposed to. It's not that big of a deal, I just don't want to scroll through 18 Jay-z's when looking for something to play. I just have MM, Windows Me.
I dl the 30-day trial from X-Play in Dec. but I don't remember it doing what I wanted it to do.

Why does it list some artists/albums multiple times when others are fine? I just got a new one from Apple today, and I want to keep it better organized than the one that broke on me. Any help would be appreciated. I only have about 7gb of free space on the Hd so I have to send to Ipod, delete, dl, etc.

AndyH

You have a tagging issue. To fix it you need to highlight all the songs in the iTunes Library from an artist, then press Ctrl + I, then type in a new Artist Name. Make sure you don't type in any of the other fields, as any change you make will be made to all of the highlighted music files.

ALLGOLD

Thanks for the reply, but I only have Music Match with WindowsME, so I can't dl I'tunes yet. Is there anyway for me to fix the problem without I'tunes, or should I bite the bullet and upgrade?

entropism

There's a program called Tag & rename that can do batch editting of ID3 tags, which is exactly what you need. It's not free though, and iTunes is.

And ummm.... I'm sorry, but Musicmatch sucks. Badly. I know you like it because you're used to it, but it's horrible. I'm not a big fan of iTunes, but it's a LOT better than MusicMatch.

entropism

Well, your BEST bet is to upgrade to WinXP. I hate to be a jerk about it, but it's leaps & bounds above WinME. I've used winME for about.....3 weeks, and I immediately switched to Win2K. The home upgrade (since you already have ME) is about $60 or less, which is about twice the cost of whatever program you're going to buy to run the iPod.

Anyways, I'd reccomend anything over Realplayer, it's notorious for spyware.

entropism

Oh yeah, try out Tag & Rename, it's at www.softpointer.com

I use it for all my files (16gigs sent to my 4g 20 gig in the week I had it) and it can look up the CD over net databases to give you full ID3 tags in about 3 mouse clicks. It's really a timesaver, and I condensed all the multiple tag entries in about a half hour, as my library was REALLY bad. 7 listings for Faith No More, 9 for Dropkick Murphys, etc.

ALLGOLD

Well, I just got XP home (full version) off E-Bay for $78.00 including shipping. It's brand new and still sealed, so it looks like I got a pretty good deal, yes? I'm dl Tag and Rename as we speak. Hopefully this will fix the problem. I had this same problem with my old Ipod and it drove me nuts because I always had to go by the album names because the artists' lists were so disorganized. A lot of that was my fault though, since I didn't change the artists name to whoever the actual cd was listed for, so if anybody was featured on a song, it would be artist/guest. On 2Pac's "All Eyes On Me" double disc, that's like at least 30 different artist tags alone!

entropism

Ha, I had the same problem on my KRS-One CDs. What I do is keep all my MP3s in folders according to band, then CD. When I use T&R, I just go to the folder I want to edit, select all, then check "artist's name" and put in "KRS-One" and then save, and that whole CD is fixed. VERY easy. Plus, if you ummm....dowload.....stuff, for evaluation, of course, *cough* the tags are always screwed up. I usually just check the FreeDB and it'll automatically fill in the ID3 tag with genre, album info, artist name, year, etc.

ALLGOLD

Thanks for the replies. I don't have any problems with the cd names, those are all fine. It just says on my Ipod I have like 15 different 2Pac's under the Artists names and when I click one of them, it lists all of his albums, and so do the others. So if I put all of 2Pacs albums(for example) and select "artist name" enter 2Pac and save, it will delete the other 2Pac's on the Artists' list on my Ipod?

And I've only dl one song, I guess I just like having the booklets and actual cds. I have dinosaur modem, that one song took long enough. I don't even want to think about how long a whole album would take. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

One other question for I'tunes users. I have a bunch of DJ mix cds I really like. When I had them on my pod there was a split-second skip in between songs. Is there a way I can make each cd one long file and keep all the artist information?

entropism

I'm not sure about having continuous songs, there might be a slight gap. I'm nowhere near an expert though, maybe someone else can help with that.

BUT, as for renaming, say, all of Tupac's songs, yeah, you just hit select all, then change the artist name. Then, delete everything from your playlist in iTunes, and add them again (with the corrected names) and it will overwright the ipod tunes and condense them into on main tupac folder, then split them into folders by album.