Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod frozen-won't restart

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-10-2004, 06:14 PM

Junior Lounger

iPod frozen-won't restart

I have a new 4g 20 gig iPod. I recently formatted my laptop and transferred all my music, pictures, etc to my ipod. While in the middle of transferring my pictures to my laptop I got an error. It stopped transferring and now the iPod is stuck on "Do not disconnect". My laptop was also being weird so I restarted. I already disconnected my iPod and it's still on Do Not Disconnect. I tried to update it, but it's not working. It says to plug in an iPod, but I guess it's not recognizing it. Both update and restore are still grayed out. Is there anyway I can fix this? I really don't want to lose anything I have on there. I have about 8 gigs of music that I didn't even get to transfer back yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:39 PM

<3 playing with knives

Re: iPod frozen-won't restart

Quote:
Originally posted by ellecsor
I have a new 4g 20 gig iPod. I recently formatted my laptop and transferred all my music, pictures, etc to my ipod. While in the middle of transferring my pictures to my laptop I got an error. It stopped transferring and now the iPod is stuck on "Do not disconnect". My laptop was also being weird so I restarted. I already disconnected my iPod and it's still on Do Not Disconnect. I tried to update it, but it's not working. It says to plug in an iPod, but I guess it's not recognizing it. Both update and restore are still grayed out. Is there anyway I can fix this? I really don't want to lose anything I have on there. I have about 8 gigs of music that I didn't even get to transfer back yet. Any help would be appreciated.
I have been having the same problems as you are experiencing. First, I wanna know if you are transfering your files though firewire or usb2.0. Do you also have service pack 2 installed as well?

My problem with my ipod is that it has been ****in up every time I try to disconnect it from my comp. I push the icon on the bottom left to safely remove it, and it goes on a blank freez with "Do not remove" just sitting on my screen for about 5 - 6 hours. I can not reset it, nor do anything with it.

It usually goes away later on the day, but it really ####ing me off lately. I have been using the lastest verison of ipod update. (I got my ipod like the first week of release with ipod software at 3.0).

Is anyone else experiecing this problem as well?

iPod 4G 40GB / iPod Nano 4GB
7973 Songs | 55.7 Days | 40.77 GB
iSkin eVo2 Wasabi / iSkin Duo Carbon Blast
Old 09-10-2004, 06:51 PM

Junior Lounger

Re: Re: iPod frozen-won't restart

Quote:
Originally posted by jtorchy
I have been having the same problems as you are experiencing. First, I wanna know if you are transfering your files though firewire or usb2.0. Do you also have service pack 2 installed as well?

My problem with my ipod is that it has been ****in up every time I try to disconnect it from my comp. I push the icon on the bottom left to safely remove it, and it goes on a blank freez with "Do not remove" just sitting on my screen for about 5 - 6 hours. I can not reset it, nor do anything with it.

It usually goes away later on the day, but it really ####ing me off lately. I have been using the lastest verison of ipod update. (I got my ipod like the first week of release with ipod software at 3.0).

Is anyone else experiecing this problem as well?
Yep, JUST installed service pack 2 today, and I'm using usb2.0. I don't have firewire on my laptop or desktop. I just formatted my laptop today, and it's making me mad because I was able to transferr everything off of it besides my music I wish I would've done the music first.

Anyway, you say that it goes away after a couple of hours, but is your iPod okay? Is everything still on there or did you lose everything? Like I said, I'd hate to lose my music. I just renamed and organized all my songs last night, which took me hours. Right now, my music is just stored on there, meaning I just dragged and dropped it to the iPod. I didn't transfer my songs through iTunes. Hopefully someone knows of a way to fix my problem without me having to lose all this music.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:57 PM

<3 playing with knives

Re: Re: Re: iPod frozen-won't restart

Quote:
Originally posted by ellecsor
Yep, JUST installed service pack 2 today, and I'm using usb2.0. I don't have firewire on my laptop or desktop. I just formatted my laptop today, and it's making me mad because I was able to transferr everything off of it besides my music I wish I would've done the music first.

Anyway, you say that it goes away after a couple of hours, but is your iPod okay? Is everything still on there or did you lose everything? Like I said, I'd hate to lose my music. I just renamed and organized all my songs last night, which took me hours. Right now, my music is just stored on there, meaning I just dragged and dropped it to the iPod. I didn't transfer my songs through iTunes. Hopefully someone knows of a way to fix my problem without me having to lose all this music.
Yeah, my ipod was A ok. No music of files that were stored as the extra hardrive were messed up or eraced. My guess is that either A, microsoft messed up with service pack 2 with the ipod (I wouldn't be surprised if they did this on purpose ) or B, it is my firewire card I have on my notebook. I installed the file / update that made my ipod not lock up when I transfer music, but it only locks up after I try to disconnect. Just give it time, and reply back if you lost any of your stuff.

iPod 4G 40GB / iPod Nano 4GB
7973 Songs | 55.7 Days | 40.77 GB
iSkin eVo2 Wasabi / iSkin Duo Carbon Blast
Old 09-10-2004, 07:16 PM

Junior Lounger

Re: Re: Re: Re: iPod frozen-won't restart

Quote:
Originally posted by jtorchy
Yeah, my ipod was A ok. No music of files that were stored as the extra hardrive were messed up or eraced. My guess is that either A, microsoft messed up with service pack 2 with the ipod (I wouldn't be surprised if they did this on purpose ) or B, it is my firewire card I have on my notebook. I installed the file / update that made my ipod not lock up when I transfer music, but it only locks up after I try to disconnect. Just give it time, and reply back if you lost any of your stuff.
Ah, thanks! I have some hope now. I guess all I can do is just wait for it to go away or wait for the battery to die. I'll get back to you later.

Topic: iPod frozen-won't restart

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.