Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How To Copy songs from your iPod to your hard drive

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-30-2003, 08:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am having a problem here:

I imported many of my CD's onto my hard drive, which I then transferred to my iPod, all using iTunes for Windows. Everything worked fine. I use a laptop, so I have limited hard drive space, so I could not keep all of my music on my hard drive, so I delted most of it, while keeping it on my iPod. I just purchased an external hard drive for my laptop and I was trying to tranfer my music from my iPod to the hard drive, which worked fine using EphPod. The problem I am not having is that iTunes is now not recognizing any of the files that I created from CD's. The mp3 files I had from elsewhere all work fine, but none of the files that came from my CD collection is being recognized whatsoever. Does anyone have a clue as to what I can do to remedy this?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

i guess by reading alot of these replies, i must be the only one using musicmatch. my problem is that i have songs on my ipod that do not play, but they still show up on my ipod. i was told to save my songs and then reset my ipod. i have no clue how to save my songs using musicmatch. i have tried it before and i failed misserably. does anyone know how to either transfer my songs so i can reset my ipod, or know another way to delete the songs? thanks
Old 12-06-2003, 02:51 PM

Junior Lounger

Copying From iPod To Computer

I just totally screwed up my 3000+ library. I am in the process of copying all my MP3's from my iPod to my computer. I changed my system to view hidden files and I am copying from the iPod_Control folder. All appears to be copying as normal.

Is there some suprise restriction I am going to run into? I never stored ANY of my MP3's in the iTunes folder. I always stored them in a seperate folder named My Music 1.

Man, I hope this works...
Old 12-06-2003, 02:53 PM

Junior Lounger

Yes. Send all of your music from your library to your play list (drag and drop). Then, select the burn button. Your will need SmartSplit and you should save them as data files....

Quote:
Originally posted by cardinalbj
i guess by reading alot of these replies, i must be the only one using musicmatch. my problem is that i have songs on my ipod that do not play, but they still show up on my ipod. i was told to save my songs and then reset my ipod. i have no clue how to save my songs using musicmatch. i have tried it before and i failed misserably. does anyone know how to either transfer my songs so i can reset my ipod, or know another way to delete the songs? thanks
Old 12-06-2003, 02:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Copying From iPod To Computer

Quote:
Originally posted by dieu
I just totally screwed up my 3000+ library. I am in the process of copying all my MP3's from my iPod to my computer. I changed my system to view hidden files and I am copying from the iPod_Control folder. All appears to be copying as normal.

Is there some suprise restriction I am going to run into? I never stored ANY of my MP3's in the iTunes folder. I always stored them in a seperate folder named My Music 1.

Man, I hope this works...
The only restriction that I found was that the filenames might be truncated. Perform a small test first.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:22 PM

Junior Lounger

Re: How To Copy songs from your iPod to your hard drive

Bill:

Perhaps I have missed something, but it appears that I have done exactly what you state iTunes is incapable of. I royally screwed up my library and was forced to start over. Rather than weed through 3000+ files placed across dozens of folders, I decided to copy all of the MP3?s from my iPod. What I simply did was copy all the folders from the iPod_Control folder. I am not sure if this is essential, but I never place my MP3?s in the iTunes folder.

Anyway, I re-imported all the music in the iTunes library, and all seems well. I am in the process of burning all 3000+ files through Roxio. I will report back?

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthsideIrish
Using iTunes
This feature is not supported in iTunes

Bill McNair
Old 12-07-2003, 03:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

hauptman, itunes reads all files but WMA, you have convert these files to mp3 files first before itunes can read it and play it for you. You can use music jukebox, they have a converter which allows you to choose what bitrate you wan to convert your files to. I hope i answered you correctly.

And to all pc and ipod wizards in here, my itunes can read the playlist on my ipod when it is in the cardle. But when my ipod is not coneected, the playlist disappears from my itunes, how am i able to copy my playlist onto my itunes? I am a moron when it comes to pc, so whoever who intends to help me here, pls reply in full details. I have been stucj with this problem for the longest time, I hope someone will find a remedy for me soon. Much appreciated.

Joanne.
msn id joanne.k@soon.com
Old 12-09-2003, 04:07 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by jhansman
I just used Podutil to copy my iPod to another hard drive, and it works perfectly. You have to be careful how you do it, however, as you can end up with folders with just one artist and one song, as from a complilation CD. Otherwise, it is the tool I would recommend, and it's free!

Linky:

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/
I'd agree with that, I've used it a bit and have found it useful. Another tip - as Podutil doesn't need to be installed, you can simply store a copy on the iPod and run it from there instead of having to have separate copies on work/home PCs, etc.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Copying from iPod to iTunes

Like someone else who posted earlier, I also just got an external hard drive for my laptop and I'm trying to transfer files from my Ipod to iTunes. I'm not having problems transfering the actual AAC files, but is there some way to transfer my song ratings? Could I just copy some file from the iPod and overwrite something in my iTunes library directory? I've transfered a good chunk of the music files, but it looks the ratings didn't come over as well. I would rather not have to go through again and enter the ratings for several hundred songs. Thanks.

---
3G 20Gig
Windows 2000
iTunes
one beat-up Dell laptop
Old 12-17-2003, 12:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can I use iTunes and one of the above programs with my iPod?
Old 12-25-2003, 12:55 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Likwid Sparks
Can I use iTunes and one of the above programs with my iPod?
Yep ,like someone mentioned ealier, PodUtil ,make its so easy and fast to copy selected ipod tunes onto a computer. It doesnt actually have anything to do with itunes,but doesnt conflict.Its a free program.
I think the very first post in this thread makes it sound like if you are using itunes,you cant transfer songs onto a pc any way.
but you can ,and its easy.

Last edited by dahj; 12-25-2003 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:58 PM

One Pod To Rule Them All

ok - stupid question - if i use this, do I have to go to my c drive or will and extrnal drive work?

also, can i get these back to iTunes using rhe usual "add file to library" functions?

40gig 3g iPod
60gig 5g iPod
16gig 3G iPhone
Windows XP
Old 03-01-2004, 11:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

But what if you're the poor sucker who uses Music match? My computer mysteriously deleted an entire genre of music (and my biggest one, unfortunately) and I need to get it back... Help!
Old 03-02-2004, 04:25 AM

Junior Lounger

Thumbs down die musicmatch, die!

Quote:
Originally posted by wjake
But what if you're the poor sucker who uses Music match? My computer mysteriously deleted an entire genre of music (and my biggest one, unfortunately) and I need to get it back... Help!
yeah, musicmatch just does that. i lost the vast majority of my song ratings the same way. that's why you really, truly, genuinely, sincerely, honestly, have to stop using it and just install iTunes. i was a skeptic before i tried it, myself. but, it's WAY better than musicmatch, and in no little part because it doesn't randomly delete stuff you spent hours setting up.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:10 AM

Junior Lounger

What about opening it through My computer?

Topic: How To Copy songs from your iPod to your hard drive

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.