Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How To Copy songs from your iPod to your hard drive

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can someone tell me what is wrong here: my comp crashed so I've been trying to get my music onto the new comp, first with Ipodrip, it wouldn't recognize the ipod, then with Ipodutil - it shows that all the songs have been transfered, but only about 80 out of 4050 actually show up.

So I tried to do it manually via "My Computer" but again only a few songs will transfer, before I get the error message:
"Cannot copy FWFP: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

I also tried adding them straight to itunes as LikeAFox suggested, but nothing happens...

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

there is no post How to transfer the Album Art along with the songs from Ipod to PC ?

i have used idump and Yamipod to tranfer but they do not transfer the album art along with ?

there is no post suggeting this

so please help
Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

I just downloaded Music Rescue to transfer some songs from my ipod to my computer. However I have this problem where it says that 'there is not enough free space'. I don`t understand this at all as both my ipod and computer have enough space to transfer music.

Can someone tell me how to get over this problem?

Thanks.

iPod 5G

1979 Songs, 27 Videos, 232 Photos
Old 04-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Back up results in random 4 letter names on Explorer

Lost my hard drive and followed the instructions posted earlier to move my files from my IPOD back to my hard drive and then back into Itunes. All worked, but as some have reported the Itunes Library when accessed via Explorer in some cases (about 40%) shows track names as 4 seemingly random letters. All play and show title OK on the IPOD, but would really like to see the real track names in Explorer too (without listening to and renaming each one).

Why some tracks and not others?

Anyway to do this and have the true track names show in Windows Explorer too?

--Steve
Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

awhile back i was on and asked this question and was told to use Yamipod is podutil better?? i have an ipod that has songs from a MAC but now i only use my PC so i would like to get the MAC songs saved on my PC
Old 04-15-2007, 04:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi all, as you see, I'm new here, but not new to an iPod or PC.

I've read allot here on back ups & what I've done is use my file manger & copy the entire iTunes folder to my iPod & then put the folder structure back on the drive, music & playlists intact.

Well, I goofed this time, I thought I had backed up all of my important files before i made the "downgrade" switch form Ultimate 64 bit to Ultimate 32 bit.

I forgot my I.E. bookmarks & you guessed it, my iTunes library.

That short intro & history said, I read this forum & opted for iPodCopy.

Well it did what it said & I "thought" I made my path clear which is: C:\Users\ButchN\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music, but I guess I made a mistake since when I open my iTunes I see no music & I see no files when using my file manager!

So I'll bet I made a stupidly simple mistake, anyone wanna take a stab at it & tell me what I overlooked?

I've got a measly 1497 songs just waiting to get back back on iTunes, in playlist order!

Thanks!

Edit.

I went out, took the S/O shopping, came back, looked at the program again & saw I had clicked copy to PC, not to the iTunes library!

So now most of my songs are there, in order, but the old familiar "where'd they all go" scenario comes into play now since allot are now missing.

Last edited by ButchN; 04-15-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

I downloaded PodUtil
but its not transfering my songs over to my itunes. I even told it to copy in my itunes music section any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:22 PM

Junior Lounger

tutorial for newbies.. but thanks anyway, maybe i`ll solve my problem with help of the other tutorial.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi Steve,

I had the name problem when I recovered my songs too. I set iTunes to "manage my songs" and "copy my songs to the iTunes library". Then I copied all the 4 charecter songs to a temp directory and then imported the whole folder in itunes. It renamed all the songs based on their titles. I just had to recreate my file list again.

-got
Old 04-26-2007, 09:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Then I have also seen wheni plug inmy ipod it shows up but then two seconds later it says it disonnect but it isn't...and i even did what the help site said to
Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

Do these (free) programs change formats to mp3 or windows media format?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:08 PM

Note that we have now done a complete rewrite of our iPod 201 article, Copying Music from iPod to Computer, covering iTunes methods for transferring purchased content, copying content from your iPod manually, and a new list of current third-party tools and their capabilities.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

to jhollington: i read your updated article "Copying Music from iPod to Computer". i recently bought a new MacBook and am trying to get all my music from my minimac to the laptop. i was able to get the iPod Control folder to show as well as the Music folder in it by typing in the Terminal commands but when i try File-Add to Library, the Music folder is not showing from the File-Add even though i can see it right on my screen. i then copied the folder onto the desktop but the same problem happens. The File Add shows everything on the desktop except the Music folder what's going on?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:16 PM

Actually, if you're trying to copy your music between two computers, and you in fact already have it on your Mac Mini, there's a FAR easier way to do this.... Connect your Mac Mini to your MacBook in FireWire "Target Mode." Basically, just connect a FireWire cable between the two units, and then start up your Mac Mini while holding down the "T" key on the keyboard, until you see a big FireWire logo appear.

This will make your Mac Mini appear as an external hard drive to your MacBook, and you can then just copy the content of your iTunes Music folders over directly between the two devices. If you just grab the entire "iTunes" folder from your "Users/<yourname>/Music" folder, that should cover everything in a default configuration.

Topic: How To Copy songs from your iPod to your hard drive

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.