How To Copy songs from your iPod to your hard drive

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SouthsideIrish

Using iTunes
This feature is not supported in iTunes. But, there is a way to do it with a free software tool.

Simply download PodUtil and run it. It will allow you to copy any songs off of your iPod (or all) and it will name the files based on the tags. You can select from a list of presets or create your own naming conventions. It will store the songs in Artist/Album sub-directories if you wish (or even Genre, anything you can come up with.

Using ephPod: -

NOTE: Please do not use this software to remove songs from the iPod since it is causing to many problems and breaking iPods. It is best to use one of the other utilities especially with the 5G iPod.

1. Click on Extras > Configuration > Advanced Options
2. You will need to change the naming style in Naming Convention for Copied Songs to whatever your preference is, ex %A - %L\%N - %T.mp3. This would put all of the songs for an album into a directory with the name of the artist and album title, ex. The Beatles - Yellow Submarine/03 - All Together Now.mp3.
3. Create a directory on one of your hard drives for the songs.
4. Select the songs that you want to transfer from your iPod to you computer.
5. Right click on them and select Copy Songs To Directory.
6. Select the directory and click OK.
7. Sit back and wait for the songs to transfer.

Using XPlay 1.1.3:

1. Create a directory on one of your hard drives for the songs.
2. Click on Explore my iPod > XPlay Music > Artists
3. Select the artists that you want to move to your harddrive.
4. Click on Edit > Copy To Folder and select the folder you created in step 1, and click OK.
5. Sit back and wait for the songs to transfer.

Using Media Center 9 (MC9):

1. Be sure you're in iPod view by selecting the iPod from under "CDs, DVDs & Handhelds"
2. Select the songs you want copied
3. Right-click and select "Copy to PC"
4. Select the directory where you want them copied & click OK.
5. Sit back and wait for the songs to transfer.

Cheers,

Bill McNair

NOTE: Also see this thread (#8) for links to additional software to remove songs from the iPod as well as the iPod 101/201 iLounge tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:

TivoTron

What if the iPod I am copying FROM is not formatted with MC 9 (a friend who still uses MusicMatch...sucker)?

Is there any way to get the files from his iPod onto my computer without deleting them/messing up his iPod?

Thanks...

kdmenon

yeah actually you can go to the iPod logo at the "My Computer" folder. Go there, open it then look for iPod control. If its not there then you hav to go to folder ops and change it to show hidden files and folders. Then in one of those folders there is a bunch of files named like FF023 and in there ur music files will be. a bit in convenient but works.

DAMBOR

Following the instructions to copy files from the iPOF to the PC, and using Ephod I get a windows message saying that the system can not find the specified route. What should I do next ?

bmxboy838

How come when I look into the folders named f02 and f03, I dont see anything?

ashawley

Website
www.
If you're using ephpod it by default stores all tunes in the F00 directory. There's an option under the Configure Ephpod>Advanced tab to store the songs in the F00 - F19 folders.

You should change this so it distributes songs across all the folders. Also, set it up so it renames the songs to random numbers.

If you don't you can run into song skipping problems.

Adam

bmxboy838

It goes to all folders but whenever I look into them there isnt anything in them.

chrisvonc

The music subfolders on the iPod are hidden meaning in windows explorer you need to have "show hidden files" selected or you wont see them.

Chris

GreatScot

kdmenon said:
yeah actually you can go to the iPod logo at the "My Computer" folder. Go there, open it then look for iPod control. If its not there then you hav to go to folder ops and change it to show hidden files and folders. Then in one of those folders there is a bunch of files named like FF023 and in there ur music files will be. a bit in convenient but works.

This works great!!! Thanks!

kyussmondo

Okay. I have set the iPOD to disk mode in MM, and opened up the iPOD I:\ in My Computer, I have set the folder to display hidden files. However, in the music folder it has folders F00 to F19, each folder has music in it (not sure how it is arranged).

I'm hoping to get MC9. But will I just beable to copy all the MP3 in the Fxx folders into one folder on the hardisc. Format the iPOD with MC9. And copy all my MP3 into the music library in MC9. However would all the tags I've created in MM be used in MC9 or would I have to create all the tags again?

GreatScot

slashjunior said:
Okay. I have set the iPOD to disk mode in MM, and opened up the iPOD I:\ in My Computer, I have set the folder to display hidden files. However, in the music folder it has folders F00 to F19, each folder has music in it (not sure how it is arranged).

I'm hoping to get MC9. But will I just beable to copy all the MP3 in the Fxx folders into one folder on the hardisc. Format the iPOD with MC9. And copy all my MP3 into the music library in MC9. However would all the tags I've created in MM be used in MC9 or would I have to create all the tags again?
I recently lost my HDD on my windows Desktop. And, luckily for my iPod, I have a backup of my songs. However, what I suspect you have really lost, is your playlists. So I Dragged and dropped the entire Music directory, containing the M00 M01 subs into a music directory on my machine. From here, I will rebuild all of my Playlists. Have fun rebuilding your playlists! The old ones you had needed to be refreshed anyway! :)

If I am wrong about the playlist loss, I would love to hear about it!

Regards,

GreatScot!

GreatScot

GreatScot said:
I recently lost my HDD on my windows Desktop. And, luckily for my iPod, I have a backup of my songs. However, what I suspect you have really lost, is your playlists. So I Dragged and dropped the entire Music directory, containing the M00 M01 subs into a music directory on my machine. From here, I will rebuild all of my Playlists. Have fun rebuilding your playlists! The old ones you had needed to be refreshed anyway! :)

If I am wrong about the playlist loss, I would love to hear about it!

Regards,

GreatScot!
I think TAGS are contained within the MP3 file. I think its part of the MP3 protocol.

zipforia

I'm using iTunes for Windows now...how can I copy songs from my iPod to my computer?...which I had to reformat due to a fatal window error.

Aqualung

Will this restore OK?

I'm thinking of doing the 2.1 firmware upgrade, and read that it wipes out your iPod....so I'm thinking I should copy all my songs to HD...Can I then bring everything back to the upgraded iPod and maintain all my info, e.g. artist, album, etc?

ashawley

Website
www.
1. iTunes does not support copying from iPod to PC. They don't want you pirating tunes.

2. Do an Update to upgrade to 2.1 (as opposed to a restore). That way you won't lose all your tunes.

mesowetodit

Method for copying playlist to playlist???

Hi folks!

I've been searching around the forums for a few days now and have tried pretty much the 3 main software(xplay, eph, MC) to copy songs off my ipod to the pc. But all my songs on the ipod are Asian songs and contain some kind of Asian language encoded in the song titles. When the software attempts to put them in a folder, some songs either get left out (gives error) or gets a number and placed outside of the folder.

When I originally upload songs to my ipod I would make a folder, put all the songs I want in it. Make a playlist using the software, then upload the songs....and I would use the playlist on the ipod to replay those songs. I never sorted the songs by album, artist, etc. to play my music....only used the playlists that i've created.

So what i'm really hoping for is a method that can just create a folder on my pc labeled as the playlist...and then just copy the songs I had originally picked for this playlist into that playlist named folder.

Sorry if i've missed this topic if it's been brought up before, but i can't seem to find it in the forums or on google. Please let me know or give a link to the topic. Thanks in advance for any advice. By the way, my 10gig ipod is totally full....thats why i really need this method, otherwise i'll be sorting all the songs copied off my ipod for a long long time. Thanks! Cheers!