Who's fixed their own Headphone Jack?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

userzero

I have a 1st Gen/5GB iPod that only outputs one channel from the headphone jack. It's out of warranty, and I want to attempt fixing it myself before I break down and spend $75 for PDASmart to fix it.

Can anyone who's had luck going in and fixing their own headphone jack shed some light on best practices to accomplish the repair? I've removed the silver cover and flipped out the battery/HD, but I'm stuck on how to get closer to the headphone jack.

Thanks.

mkostersitz

I just soldered in a new one into my 1st Gen 10 GB iPod. You need a low power soldering iron with a long thin soldering tip and unsoldering wire, do not use a suction device the soldering points are pretty weak.

So now for the steps:

open iPod,
now on to remove innards from top cover

unplug and remove battery
unplug Harddrive
remove Harddrive
carefully remove the rubber cover on top of the mainboard, don't break the Harddrive cable

use a small torx driver to unscrew the main board from the top cover.

lift the mainboard out of the top cover

now unsolder the 2 points on the metal cover over the plugs and carefully bend away the metal cover
now you can unsolder the plug do it carefully and take your time so that you do not damage the soldering points.
put some tin on the new plug's pins and solder it in place
carefully bend the cover back and solder down the two points holding it in place.

reassemble the whole thing in reverse order
(test the new plug before clicking the silver back in place.)

HTH Mike

duncan

Website
duncanentwisle.me.uk
You also need to use lead free solder (and a tip that has only ever been used with lead free solder).

Lead-free and leaded solders don't play nicely together with each other.

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
hey @ll.

Well it's finally happened again... yep my hedphone jack has snapped as well.

This is the refurb iPod I recieved after the last jack snapped and now (as I predicted here a few months back) it's happened again - only this time out of warranty...

So seeing as how apple fixed the same part last time, I believe the new part is also covered by a 1 year warranty?

So maybe I'm in luck...

where did you get the replacement parts?

rydwi

Website
rydwi.blogspot.com
parts?

Just wondering if anyone got back on where to get the headphone jack, and approxiamte cost. I have a 2Gen 10GB and the headphone jack is shot, but I don't really want to spend too much on it. Thanks.

sesexton

Headphone Jack Source G1 & 2

I have replacement headphone jacks for Gen1 & 2 iPods for sale on eBay. See item # 5722146287. These are Brand New , not salvaged from other iPods.

Sean:)