Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What are the decibel levels of the iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-24-2004, 03:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

What are the decibel levels of the iPod?

Does anyone happen to know the exact or approximate decibel levels that the iPod performs at? I am concerned about keeping decibel levels low in order to avoid any possible damage to to the ears.

It would be great if someone knew the decibel level of the maximum volume the iPod is capable of, as well as the decibel level of 3/4ths (75%) volume, 1/2 (50%) volume, 1/4th (25%) volume, etc. This would assist in knowing what I should set the volume at in order to stay under a certain decibel level.

My iPod is bought in Canada, if that matters at all. Thanks for any help or comments anyone can provide.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:51 AM

Brushed Steel Guy

Well I don't know of any technical numbers, but I'll give it a shot. The following is with the stock buds.

At just over 0% volume, it is a whisper, which is around 10dB. It is not damaging to the ears by any means.

At 100% volume, it hurts your ears. A lot. Concerts do too, but not as much, and they go up to 110dB. I would then assume the iPod goes up to around 100dB.

At 50% would be somewhere in between, but not half way, as sound is logarithmic. So I'd guess it'd be around 35dB.

But numbers mean nothing, just put it in and adjust the volume until you are comfortable.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:21 PM

ambientPod

You are very, very wrong...

1. Do you see the difference between listening through an iPod or on a stadium/hall or wherever the concert is held?

2. Did you know that headphone amps are along the lines of 1W while PA amps for concerts are along the 20 000W line?

I still have no answer to the original question...just wanted to correct you
Old 08-24-2004, 07:07 PM

Junior Lounger

puRe.. hello!!!? the iPod is playing directly into your ears!

A good rule of thumb is this:

If I can hear your music 3 feet away, you are hurting your hearing.

How many of you would enjoy wearing a hearing aid when you are older? And they cost like 10x as much as an iPod.

Jette
Old 08-24-2004, 08:04 PM

Reductio Ad Absurdum

The Apple website lists the iPod as having, "Sensitivity: 104-dB sound pressure level at 1 mW."

Topic: What are the decibel levels of the iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.