Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What does one do when ones iPod is FULL??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-09-2004, 05:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question What does one do when ones iPod is FULL??

6570 SONGS and no more space!

I don't know if you have experienced it yourself, but my 3G 30Gb iPod is packed to the rim. Its full yet i have new songs i would like to add.. :-(
Its a tough situation and i just cant let myself delete songs from my iPod because frankly I'm too lazy to do so.
Has anyone been in my shoes?
If only they had a 40GB iPod when i bought this 30GB one because within weeks of my purchase they banished the 30GB model and introduced the 40GB one. Is the 30GB an antique because its kind of rare these days?

What would you do if your iPod was FULL>?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

In order of probability:

Not care.
Whine about it.
Get a second iPod/replace present one with a 40gig.
Kill myself.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:30 AM

When your iPod gets full, I'd say to replace it with a 4G 40GB. ;] Or just buy a 4G 20GB and use it with your 3G 30GB.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:04 AM

84 hours a week

Well,this requires some non-laziness. Assuming you use itunes.
Rank all your music. Here's an easy one.
1) Rank everything 2 stars.
2) Create smartplaylist. Conditions: rank is greater than 1 star, size limit 27.7G(or whatever you can squeeze on your ipod in real life), selected at random, not played in the last 2 days.
3) set this playlist only to autosync.

Now you have some variety, and a method to dump from the ipod any song forever (just drop its ranking). Obivously you can make this much better with a little more work, but I'm taknig into account the laziness thing

5G 60gb iPod video, 226gb of music. Yes, they need to make a bigger one.

previous: 3G 30gb. Off to a good home...
Old 08-09-2004, 09:17 AM

You have got to be kidding! This defeats the whole purpose of having ratings.

What you do is create a smartlist called On iPod. You use this smartlist to sync all of your songs to the iPod, then base all of you other smartlist on this smartlist. Then you can decide what will go on your iPod in one smartlist, and not have to worry about manually managing the music.

Bill McNair

160GB AppleTV, 8GB iPhone, 160GB iPod Classic, 80GB iPod, Shure E500PTH, Alpine DVA-9861, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" Black MacBook
Old 08-09-2004, 09:25 AM

Reclined Lounger

Buy A NEW 40 GIG GEN4 IPOD, that will solve your problem easily.

Windows XP SP2 | Mac OSX 10.4.4 | Mac mini 1.5GHZ | iBook G4 12"| iPod gen 3 20GB | iPod shuffle 1GB | iPod gen 5 30GB | iPod nano 2GB | Creative muVo 128MB | Creative Jukebox 6GB | Sony MDR71SL in-ear headphone | harman/kardon SoundSticks | iPod socks | IPs dock | IPs battery pack | iPod Universal Dock | iPod Radio Remote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthsideIrish
You have got to be kidding! This defeats the whole purpose of having ratings.

What you do is create a smartlist called On iPod. You use this smartlist to sync all of your songs to the iPod, then base all of you other smartlist on this smartlist. Then you can decide what will go on your iPod in one smartlist, and not have to worry about manually managing the music.

Bill McNair
umm sorry Bill.. kind of lost.. i usually listen to whats new and what i feel like listening so i need access to the music on the go.. you know what i mean?.. anyways ur idea sounds interesting can u expand on it cause i havent heard of smartlisting all my music..

thanks for u help though
Old 08-09-2004, 10:55 AM

84 hours a week

Bill, not sure what you're referring to. I gave a simple setup(note: OP's laziness comment) that would rotate out songs without his having to get too deep into rating songs. Of course there are better ways to do it, but they require a substancial time investment when talking about rating 6000+ songs. The method I outline would take less than 5 minutes.

Now, nested playlists are great. But, he didn't ask about that in the first post. So, to expand on your comment, adding to my original instructions:
Lets call that smartlist onipod then:
4) any other smartlist you create for the pod should have as a condition- playlist is onipod.

Example- unheard playlist: match all of the following conditions. playlist is onipod. playcount is 0.
So, this makes a list of songs you haven't heard yet. If you don't like the song, drop its rating to 1 or 0. It will be removed FROM THE IPOD FOREVER on the next sync. Once it plays, it will drop from the unheard playlist, and off the ipod for at least 2 days, all on the next sync. Note: smartlists will not autoupdate ON THE IPOD if they are nested, only when you sync.

5G 60gb iPod video, 226gb of music. Yes, they need to make a bigger one.

previous: 3G 30gb. Off to a good home...
Old 08-09-2004, 10:58 AM

try this site for some smart playlist ideas...

http://smartplaylists.com/

i have one smart playlist that is 'new and unplayed' (playcount = 0, date added is way into future) , and another that 'not too popular by 3 (playcount < 3 and not played in the last three months). you can rate your favourite stuff and create a playlist based on stars, or moods, or words...! the possibilites are almost endless : )

good luck!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:01 PM

Just do what I will be doing soon, eliminate all of Radiohead and U2's opus - indeed everything I don't listen to very often.

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them." my band: slave called shiver
Old 08-10-2004, 10:06 AM

Senior Lounger

I have a full 3G 40Gb iPod and about 100 Gb of mp3 files stored on my hard drive. There are still around 500 CDs I haven't gotten around to ripping yet. It's not really such a big chore to move items off and on to the iPod, is it?

You could set your iPod to only autosync items that are checked. Then simply check and uncheck to your heart's content.

You could also convert all your mp3 files to aac format to free up some additional space if you like.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:20 PM

Junior Lounger

Dumb question.... Delete those songs you never listen to.

I'm no where near capacity on my iPod, but if I ever get there, I know I have music on there I'll prolly never listen to. That gets removed first.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:47 PM

Your everyday iPodder!

Surely when you have over 6,000 songs, there are a few that you don't really like. Go through your library and delete the songs you almost NEVER listen to. If you love all of them, get a 40 gig.

Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 PM

Veteran Lounger

Smart playlists are the solution in my book. I manage a 60+ GB (10K+ songs) library on a *mini* without ever doing anything more than occasionally manually adding a few albums to a standard playlist that gets sync'd along the pre-shuffled rules based list.

So long as you have regular access to a computer, the capacity issue is largely a marketing technique on the part of DAP manufacturers. The only way I'd ever worry about total capacity is if I were going to be backpacking across Europe or something for several weeks.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:22 PM

12 iPods and counting

Yeah, it is time to get to work on taking out some of the songs that you don't like. I have so many that it took me about 3 nights to categorize and manage my music to the ones that I would listen to.

1G 5GB/2G 20GB/3G 20GB and 40GB/4G 20GB/Photo 30GB/5G 30GB Blk/1G Mini Blue/2G Mini Green/iPod Shuffle 512MB/iPod Nano 4GB Blk iPod Touch 8gb
Yeah, I own a lot of iPods. Yeah, I know it's a problem. Yeah, I know I should join iA(iPods Anonymous). Stop making new iPods Apple !!!

Topic: What does one do when ones iPod is FULL??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.