Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can I just Shuffle a Genre?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-07-2004, 05:55 PM

iPodOFtheSeas

Can I just Shuffle a Genre?

I used to have a Nomad, as you will see from my signiture, and it was able to shuffle categories - such as genres, artists, albums, etc.

Is iPod able to do this? Or it can just shuffle the entire collection of everything?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:33 PM

12 iPods and counting

You have to make a playlist of those in iTunes (if you are using iTunes only). That should be a hard task if your music is already organized. Then turn shuffle on while playing that playlist.

1G 5GB/2G 20GB/3G 20GB and 40GB/4G 20GB/Photo 30GB/5G 30GB Blk/1G Mini Blue/2G Mini Green/iPod Shuffle 512MB/iPod Nano 4GB Blk iPod Touch 8gb
Yeah, I own a lot of iPods. Yeah, I know it's a problem. Yeah, I know I should join iA(iPods Anonymous). Stop making new iPods Apple !!!
Old 08-07-2004, 06:39 PM

iPodOFtheSeas

SolidGun,

So I can only shuffle playlists? How do I turn shuffle on during a playlist exactly (name steps). I got 4G iPod with the newest software update

Old 08-07-2004, 07:33 PM

Reclined Lounger

Is it really possible to shuffle a playlist? I can only shuffle my entire collection.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:50 PM

Pro Lounger

To shuffle a genre:

Make sure you have the Genre menu turned on in Settings > Main Menu, whether you have it on the main menu or inside the Music/Browse menu.

Go to Settings > Shuffle. Turn on Shuffle to "Songs". Go back to the main menu, or Browse/Music, wherever you have the Genre menu. Select "Genre", and then HIGHLIGHT a specific genre you want to shuffle. Press the Play button. All those songs inside that genre should play back in random order.

Last edited by ZoidbergD; 08-07-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:55 PM

Senior Lounger

I really hope the next 4G firmware makes the "Shuffle Songs" feature into a menu containing "Library" follow by all one's playlists.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:02 PM

Pro Lounger

An addendum, you DON'T have to make a playlist if you want to shuffle a specific artist, album, genre, or whatever. The "Shuffle Songs" option in the main menu does not turn on or off "global" shuffling. What this item does is load in ALL of the songs on your iPod (sans audiobooks) and plays them back in random order. It is a temporary shuffled playlist of all your songs. To turn on shuffling for ANY playlist, genre, artist, album or whatever, you go into Settings located on the main menu, and toggle the "Shuffle" command to "Songs" to turn on global shuffling.

To answer the last member's question, to shuffle a specific playlist, activate Shuffle inside the Settings menu, NOT using the "Shuffle Songs" command on the main menu. Then go back to the specific playlist you want to shuffle, highlight the playlist name (DO NOT select the playlist itself) and press the Play button.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:00 AM

kat
Junior Lounger

Thanks for the shuffling genre tip ZoidbergD, it's useful as hell :]
Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 AM

Pro Lounger

Why dont people just TRY things before they ask?

Surely you could have tried it out first, its not rocket science really, turn on shuffle, go to Genre and of course it will shuffle the songs in there. Even though that might not be obvious to everyone but surely trying it first would show it!?

You have GOT to see this site:

http://www.huthwaiteair.com

Pure Comedy!
Old 08-09-2004, 02:03 PM

Junior Lounger

I have sort of the opposite problem. Have a bunch of stuff in a particular genre, with a few songs in many versions by different artists. Would like to be able to play the genre in order by song title (instead of by artist -- album -- song title) so that I could compare. Sure, I could set up a playlist to do this, but I'd love to have enhanced sorting capabilities on the iPod directly. Sorting descending would be nice too.

brand new 4G 40GB, 3G/4G Maclear Zip, Windows 2000

Last edited by millipod; 08-09-2004 at 03:49 PM.

Topic: Can I just Shuffle a Genre?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.