Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Magnets Killed My Ipod-Help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-27-2004, 07:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy Magnets Killed My Ipod-Help!

Im in uttter depression my 40gb (3rd gen) ipod with 30 gig worth of mp3s, has been destroyed. I was fiddling with my Dads car phone holder (the sucker type ones) and placed my ipod on it. However, I was unaware that it was a magnet and only after about a minute did i figure this out and remove the ipod ipod. The result-my ipod went funny so i reset it. It wont reset though, it goes through the usual stuff (the apple logo) but makes horrible loud hard-disk noices and brings up a screen with a picture of a folder and an exclamation mark by the side-and then just turns off. It will not connect to my computer anymore either.

Anyone got any suggestions!? Does anyone know if its repairable? Are all my beloved mp3s lost (they were not backed up!)? Would my apple guarantee cover this? Should I claim on the house insurance?
Please any suggestions would be most appreciated- I cant live without my ipod!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:49 AM

just did a search of the forums and turned this up for you, though it's not good news : (

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...hlight=magnets

looks like you'll need to return it to apple to have it sorted out, but the worst part is your music is almost probably gone. have you tried connecting to your computer as a hard drive as opposed to via iTunes - maybe you can try and see if there is anything readable on the iPod drive..?

btw welcome to the lounge and good luck! hope you can salvage something!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:05 AM

Pro Lounger

This happened to my friend too, his wallet's magnet screwed up his harddrive, his only option was to send it back to apple.

60 GB iPod photo

*iPodlounge.com Contributing Editor and PHP/MySQL Kung Fu Master*

Georiga Tech

My Music
Old 07-27-2004, 12:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cheers guys, Looks like bad news. Do you think that i will be able to send it back to apple under the guarantee if I dont mention anything about magnets and claim it just broke or do you think there wise to that?
Old 09-25-2004, 01:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

Magnets will not kill your iPod. Maximum PC's Medic issue debunked the magnet causing hard drive failure myth. For a magnet to be able to be affected by an external magnetic field, that field would need to be very very very strong. A magnetic field with 10,000 gause will not even be able to affect it. The magnetic field on the hard disk platter itself is way over 10,000 gause thus anything less then its own magnetic field would not be able to cause harm. There are extremely strong industrial strength magnets which WILL do harm to the hard disk but those magnets also sucks up dinnerware inches away from it and they are also almost near impossible to remove from a metal door. So don't worry about magnets such as refridgerator magnets and similar types affecting your ipod. They will not even if they are directly on it.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Exclamation

My 1 day old iPods hard drive was killed my the magnets in my pockets. I was wearing SCOTTeVESTS hidden cargo pants which uses magnets to keep the pockets closed. I have sent an email to Scott Jordan about this and will post his reply when I get it. I would not put a magnet anywhere near an iPod.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:56 AM

My dog is ugly

Quote:
Originally posted by kissdadookie
Magnets will not kill your iPod. Maximum PC's Medic issue debunked the magnet causing hard drive failure myth. For a magnet to be able to be affected by an external magnetic field, that field would need to be very very very strong. A magnetic field with 10,000 gause will not even be able to affect it. The magnetic field on the hard disk platter itself is way over 10,000 gause thus anything less then its own magnetic field would not be able to cause harm. There are extremely strong industrial strength magnets which WILL do harm to the hard disk but those magnets also sucks up dinnerware inches away from it and they are also almost near impossible to remove from a metal door. So don't worry about magnets such as refridgerator magnets and similar types affecting your ipod. They will not even if they are directly on it.
Then how do you explain his iPod being destroyed?
Old 09-25-2004, 11:26 AM

Junior Lounger

I'm sure that magnets can damage the data on the iPod drive. I have sometimes erased floppy disks by passing a strong magnet over them. While modern hard drives use better magnetic coating materials, they also have much smaller and more sensitive magnetic domains. Moving the magnet can also generate small electrical currents in the circuits of the iPod as the magnetic field cuts through them.

But while this could possibly damage data on a hard drive, I doubt that it would cause any permanent damage that couldn't be fixed by a reformat. Your music files are probably lost, but you may find that you can run the Updater to reformat the drive and recover that way.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by AJames
I'm sure that magnets can damage the data on the iPod drive. I have sometimes erased floppy disks by passing a strong magnet over them. While modern hard drives use better magnetic coating materials, they also have much smaller and more sensitive magnetic domains. Moving the magnet can also generate small electrical currents in the circuits of the iPod as the magnetic field cuts through them.

But while this could possibly damage data on a hard drive, I doubt that it would cause any permanent damage that couldn't be fixed by a reformat. Your music files are probably lost, but you may find that you can run the Updater to reformat the drive and recover that way.
If only it were that simple a fix. That's what the Apple Support tech tried with me but the iPod would not mount. Conclusion: iPod hard drive beyond repair must be replaced. Sending back to Apple for repair. I would have to think that with these drives being so small that even small magnets could throw the plater out of position and cause the head to make contact. Once the head and plater touch its all over for that hard drive!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:23 PM

1,2, WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally posted by kissdadookie

Funnny. Cause no they didnt. They debunked the Speaker next to the computer myth. Not the direct open magnet right next to the iPod myth.

/2x check your stuff before posting.
//I got the issue in front of me.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:38 PM

Veteran Lounger

Source: http://msn.pcworld.com/msn/article/0...72,pg,1,00.asp

For venerable floppies, this statement holds true. We placed a 99-cent magnet on a 3.5-inch floppy for a few seconds. The magnet stuck to the disk and ruined its data.

Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields. "There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

The same goes for hard drives. The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. "In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets," says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. "In every disk," notes Rudock, "there's one heck of a magnet that swings the head."

Want to erase data from a hard drive you plan to toss? Don't bother with a magnet. Overwrite the data that is stored on the media instead. For flash, fill up the drive with anything, like pictures of your beloved dachshund. Unlike with magnetic media, from which experts can usually recover at least some overwritten data, once new data is written to flash media, the old data is gone forever. To overwrite the contents of a hard drive, try Eraser from Heidi Computers.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:30 AM

Junior Lounger

Monster Magnet

That's exactly a point. Did you ever disassemble an old hard drive? There's a very strong magnet inside (at least on a household scale). It's field would shield most other magnetic fields off.

But there's other parts in ipod which could be damaged by a magnet, or am I wrong?
Old 09-26-2004, 11:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

Think about it this way. We're not talking about a full size 3.5" computer hard drive. I agree any regular household magnet would have no affect. Lets think about what happens when you scale this down to a micro drive. On a full size drive the head is less then a human hair away from the platter. Now how close would this be on a micro drive?
I think we're talk about physical damage to the drive not information getting erased.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Magnets-damn

Cheers for the replies guys-dont know what the magnet has done but it sure is broken. I can go into disk mode thats about it but the computer wont dock with the computer (i have tried hundreds of times and many ways)-so let this be a lesson to all, ipods can kill your ipod and you too could be stuck with a crappy minidisc player! Anyone got any suggestion on how to get the ipod dock with the computer?
Old 10-05-2004, 03:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

ok guys..

my brother crashed my notebboks harddrive using a magnetic antenna stand, the drive isn't physicalli demaged but:

hard drives store information about themselves on it, so if you erase this part of the harddisk using a magnet, the harddisk isn't able to identify itself, and as a conclusion no other system will be able to recognise it.

i hope i didn't talk ####, but that's how i got it in my mind.

Topic: Magnets Killed My Ipod-Help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.