USB Cable Confusion - Please Help - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: USB Cable Confusion - Please Help

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-08-2003, 02:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

USB Cable Confusion - Please Help

I'm sorry if this is old stuff, but someone please answer my questions:

1. Can I connect and use a new iPod with my Win XP USB 2.0 PC without buying anything other than what comes with the iPod?

2. If I want to occasionally use my iPod to transfer data files from various different USB PCs, do I need to buy a special cable and do I need to carry the dock around with me?

3. Do I need the $20 Apple Firewire/USB2.0 three connector cable? And does anyone sell this other than Apple?

4. Are there generic off-the-shelf USB2 cables that work for the above questions, or only proprietary stuff from Apple?

Thanks for anyone who can straighten out my confusion.

Tom
Old 07-08-2003, 02:46 PM

Pro Lounger

1. No.
2. You don't need to carry the Dock around with you. You just need the iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0/FireWire cable.
3. Yes you do. I think Apple is the only company that's manufacturing/selling them.
4. Nope, generic USB 2.0 cables/FireWire cables will not work with the new iPods. Generic FireWire cables will work with past generation iPods, however.

Alternatively, you can just install a FireWire PCI card in your system. That might make things easier, since you can just use the Dock connector cable that was included with the iPod.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

Zoidberg D, thank you so much for your clear, concise answers. Now I'm finally going to buy an iPod!

Tom
Old 07-08-2003, 03:22 PM

Pro Lounger

Welcome to the iPod universe.

Topic: USB Cable Confusion - Please Help

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.