Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: If you delete songs from your iTunes, will they also be deleted from you iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

If you delete songs from your iTunes, will they also be deleted from your iPod?

As I was importing songs from a bunch of my CDs into my iTunes library to then put on my iPod, a little bubble message popped up on the bottom right hand corner of my screen saying that the disk space was low. I assume this was because I was putting so many songs into my iTunes library..

I had saved a lot of pictures and video files in my documents folders, so I went through and put them all onto CDs and deleted them off of my computer to try and free up some disk space, but that message still pops up.

So my mom was all saying that it's because of all the songs I was putting on my iPod and that I need to delete them, but I think that if I delete them from my iTunes that once I hook my iPod up to my computer again to put more songs on it that it will update to match my iTunes library and will then in turn delete the songs off of my iPod that I've deleted off of my iTunes. Will this happen?? I really don't want to risk losing my 1200+ songs. So I did a little test and just deleted 2 songs and then updated my iPod, and the 2 songs deleted as I expected.

Anyone have a solution to this low disk space message I keep getting?

Last edited by Chez21; 06-29-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-29-2004, 09:53 PM

Hey welcome to the lounge. You are right the default option of an iPod and iTunes is to mirror the iTunes library, therefore in iTunes, on iPod, on iPod and not in iTunes --> now it is no longer on the iPod once you sync.

Here is an option but it can have it's problem if you are concerned about the hard work of importing songs!

When the iPod is connected and selected into the iTunes source window, you can select the iPod preferences in the lower right hand corner. Now you can change the updating options to "manually update" this allows you to drag and drop songs to the iPod. Now if you delete songs from iTunes they won't be lost from the iPod.

The catch: You'll have to make all playlists on the iPod and also the iPod being a portable device it could need to be reformat, could get dropped or crushed etc, and then all your songs are gone. It is highly reccommended that you back up the music files to some archival system like CD or DVD, otherwise you will spend hours ripping the music from your CDs again should anything happen.

A better route is to think about investing in an external hard drive to hold your music. 80gbs or more comes at a relatively nice price now a days. I know it sounds like a lot right after an iPod purchase, but it is one of the best ways to protect your musical files.

Now there are still plenty of people who get a long just fine with manually updating songs and things go a long swimmingly. If you chose to manual, delete and go, just be ready for anything. You'll want to download a program that allows you get your music off of the iPod too, iTunes won't let you bring the songs off once they are on, you could delete them, but then they are gone, you can't drag them back to the computer's hard drive.

Good luck

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the quick response.

hmm I think I'm gonna have to look into purchasing an external hard drive as you suggested, because I don't think I would want to go through updating the iPod manually.

Now my next question is: how would I go about copying the songs from my iTunes library and putting them onto a back up CD?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:26 PM

Make one large playlist of all your songs and click burn. Burn as a data CD, it will take multiple CDs, but they will keep prompting you until the burn is done. This is how I back up my purchased music. It takes two CDs at the moment.

Good luck

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 07-15-2004, 11:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Deleting files in iTunes

Hi,

Newbie on the board. While we're on deleting files off iTunes, here's a quick one:

On my old PC, I used to be able to right-click on a file and select 'clear' and when I confirm that, another dialog box appears asking me if I want to delete it from the hard drive as well.

Since I replaced my PC and rebuilt my collection, I don't get that prompt anymore - I mean, the choice of deleting songs off my hard drive.

Is there anything I could do to bring that functionality back?

Thanks,

-N-

Topic: If you delete songs from your iTunes, will they also be deleted from you iPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.