The screeching while touching wheel

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gHoppa

I know a lot of you have this because I have done research on it and searched the forums. If you put your ear to the pod while it is playing a song u will hear this gross screeching/ high scracthing sound. IF you turn on the backlight or turn hold on it completely stops. The reason you can hear it when you put your ear near it is because I think your ear/hair is touching the wheel, "Activating" or moving it. IF you tap it with your finger you should be able to hear it too.

Now all I am worried about ( I remember hearing one of you say it could be the battery making/causing the sound) is wear and tear on the pod and especially the battery. Does this decrease or affect the battery life (how many hours you can get out of it per charge) and just the overall durability/ how long till it dies.

The sound seems fine so like I said, the 2nd paragraph is all Im worried about

thanx

gHoppa

Nobody has anything to say? Should I return it?

Also, I think everybody's pod makes SOME noise (like a faint beeping/humming) when it is playing a song , right? cuz mine does but i think thats normal, you cant hear it unless you put it up to your ear

Last edited:

axp

Mine makes a noise like something is spinning inside when a song is playing. And makes a screeching sound when i touch the scroll wheel. The spinning sound seems to occur even when the ipod is in sleep. Also, these problems occur on my ipod only when my battery is half empty...

Is this what your ipod does?

axp

yeah i reckon we should return it. Its probably caused by the battery having accessive wear and tear or something. But as my ipod is only 4 months old, this is unacceptable.

The thing now is, how to return it? Should we use the online 'Repair service'? Or go to an apple store? Or maybe to an apple reseller?(thats where i got my ipod from)

malrase

The screeching happens on mine too - I think it's part of the mechanism for how the wheel works. It's not that noticable on mine though... only if I put my ear up to it can I tell.

Xp67

Website
www.xp67.co.uk
You know, the noises could just be normal hard drive noies...they make screeching and scratching noises.

bramt

Yes my iPod does this as well. Is there anyone whose iPod doesnt make this sound?
And what makes it? The only moving parts in it are the harddrive and the button clicker. It is silent during standby only if the hold switch is switched.

Is this a defect or do all iPods have it? And I think it does drain the battery significantly - mine is new and it drained overnight!

Surely there are some answers...

double07girly77

my ipod does this too and ive had it since april. it has also started spazing out and freezing on me so that i have to reset it. i think i might return mine too. it's uncalled for.