Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod 2.01 updater for Win98 Users

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-20-2003, 10:17 PM

Junior Lounger

Well you could just buy a new PowerBook (hopefully with the 970 in it) on monday. Rumor has it Apple puts those firewire thing-a-ma-gigs in all their computers. And I do know they charge the ipod when plugged in the wall.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:27 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by ipeddler
Well you could just buy a new PowerBook (hopefully with the 970 in it) on monday. Rumor has it Apple puts those firewire thing-a-ma-gigs in all their computers. And I do know they charge the ipod when plugged in the wall.
hehe i like apple's design and ease of use, but i'm afraid all my fave progs run on the windoze platform... and it'd be quite weird to run my stuff on an emulator. an ipod's gonna be my only apple product for the time being.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:19 PM

sep
Beatles Lounger

thanks guys, I could not have done it without you

iPod gen 3 10gig
12" Powerbook G4
Bose Sounddock
Old 06-22-2003, 10:42 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by ibons
hehe i like apple's design and ease of use, but i'm afraid all my fave progs run on the windoze platform... and it'd be quite weird to run my stuff on an emulator. an ipod's gonna be my only apple product for the time being.
I heard that Apple will be putting the IBM 970 processor in the powerbooks soon. If you have that setup and VirtualPC on OSX, you'll have windows be faster on the mac then it is on your new pc laptop. Only kidding of course, but won't that be something.

I'm getting the new powerbook when the 15" gets upgraded soon. All the programs I use on windows are available for OSX except MS Access. I'm getting VirtualPC for that so no biggie for me.

In a month or so, I won't be visiting the win 98 threads anymore. Well maybe I'll stop in and say hi.

sep - glad you got your stuff working too. Bugs me that Apple doesn't support win 98. We obviously got it to work pretty easily. Oh well.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Win98SE

I have Win98SE installed on my computer and I'm trying to use USB 1.1 just as the manual says it's compatible. I tried running the Apple programme (setup.exe) but I don't get a message to click "next" like other people are. It's going right through the Installshield and prompting me with a picture of the iPod with options to "Install" or "Exit." I've tried searching for the updater file trying to install it multiple ways but I can't ever find the Updater file everyone's talking about.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:33 AM

Junior Lounger

Re: Win98SE

Quote:
Originally posted by palmerownz
I have Win98SE installed on my computer and I'm trying to use USB 1.1 just as the manual says it's compatible. I tried running the Apple programme (setup.exe) but I don't get a message to click "next" like other people are. It's going right through the Installshield and prompting me with a picture of the iPod with options to "Install" or "Exit." I've tried searching for the updater file trying to install it multiple ways but I can't ever find the Updater file everyone's talking about.
Hmm, what happens when you try to click on "install"?

Does it allow you to continue on or boot you out, saying your OS is not supported? If so, when you reach the abovementioned screen, do a search on updater in your windows directory and see what happens. Remember to check the correct directory for the file.

It should not matter what interface you are using with your ipod because the updater seems to do the job as long as it has detected the ipod mounted as a removable hard drive.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yes, if I do click "Install" then it boots me out of the installation saing my "OS is not supported." I have tried searching for the updater file while at that screen. Actually, the first thing it prompts me for when I click on setup.exe is the language selection. I've searched for the updater at that stage, during the Installshield process and then when it prompts me with the "Install" or "Exit" commands
Old 07-01-2003, 10:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

Win 98/SE updater

I managed to install both the original V2 and the 2.0.1 updater with a similar approach. It looks like its only the top-level installer (setup.exe) which is incompatible with win98.

i) V2 (installing a new iPOD) On the iPOD distribution CD search for 'updater' - there is an Exe and the iPOD manager in a BIN directory - works fine under Win98 whereas the Setup.exe doesn't.

ii) As an alternative - if you can run either the original setup or the 2.0.1 updater on another PC which is ME/2000/XP etc but without the iPOD connected - a new iPOD directory is created with the necessary files for the update unpacked. These can then be copied and run on a win98 pc without any problem.

I also experience many of the common problems described in the forum:

* Long delays in responding to buttons when the iPOD was first loading a file to play.
* Skipping to the 2nd or 3rd track in a directory before beginning playing.
* Generally slow browsing response.

These were all cleared by making sure that the music files are distributed between a number of the sub directories F0-F19 on the iPOD - Ephpod is configured to put them all in F) to start, you need to change the options to support F) to F19 and reload your music onto the iPOD.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Wow, thanks a lot. I finally did get it to work. Thanks for the advice about distributing the files evenly too.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:42 AM

Senior Lounger

Right, so that we're all crystal clear on this, even us iPod n00bs:

Running the updater file on Win98SE in the manner described by ibons will not only update the firmware on a Windows-formatted iPod but also convert a factory-fresh Mac-formatted iPod to Windows.

The reason I ask is that you say that "the updater seems to do the job as long as it has detected the ipod mounted as a removable hard drive". I'm displaying my ignorance but surely the OS will only mount the iPod when its been reconfigured for Windows? Or have I misunderstood?

Anyway, thanks a lot for this excellent tip which has saved me yet again from an upgrade to XP (*makes sign of cross*).
Old 07-10-2003, 09:32 PM

Junior Lounger

mintcake,

Correct. Everything you said will do the job. And yes, a mac formatted ipod will show up as a mounted drive on your win98 computer. So run the updater and install 2.01 onto ipod. It will format your ipod for windows. The go play some music.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:57 AM

Senior Lounger

Thanks for the confirmation ipeddler

I notice that 'setup.exe' writes two executable files to the TEMP folder: 'ipod-for-win-updater-instalr.exe' and 'ipod-for-win-core-instalr.exe'

What does the second one do?

Getting my iPod Monday week, can't wait...
Old 07-11-2003, 12:58 PM

Junior Lounger

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by mintcake
Thanks for the confirmation ipeddler
Getting my iPod Monday week, can't wait...
Bout time too!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 08:08 PM

Junior Lounger

mintcake -

Beats me on the ipod-for-win-core-instalr.exe. Just use the other one and know everything will be aok.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

How come I keep getting a "Can't mount iPod" error when I open the updater? I can't click update or restore when the updater comes up.

Topic: Ipod 2.01 updater for Win98 Users

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.