Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: used ipod - how to install software without losing songs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-19-2004, 11:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

used ipod - how to install software without losing songs?

I bought a slightly used ipod off ebay and the seller sent it with all the songs intact. Turns out that he has very similar taste in music as myself. I would like to install iTunes or MC9 on my computer and get everything running smoothly so I can add some extra songs of my own. What steps do I need to take so that I can preserve the existing songs on the iPod but add additional songs from my own collection? I don't currently have the room on my hard drive to copy the entire contents of the iPod to my computer.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:28 AM

Junior Lounger

I am really new to itunes as I used Ephpod before (I had Win ME). I think there is a way with itunes to where it will not sync the ipod. You can install itunes and then add your music and when you hook up the ipod tell it just to add the new stuff to the ipod rather than syncing between the two.
I think there was a post awhile back about not having to have your music on the hard drive and just leaving it on the ipod. I do not remember what the thread was called - sorry.

iPod Photo 40 gb with Contour Showcase
iPod Shuffle 1 gb with Apple Sportcase
Shure e1 with their own case
Old 04-23-2004, 01:50 AM

Senior Lounger

If you go with MC9 (which is my favorite), post this question on the MC9 board - there are a number of experts there. You may find the answer by searching and/or just browsing through several pages of thread headers on MC9 and iTunes boards. There's an amazing wealth of info here in the lounge.
I haven't done this, but I know I've read about it - unfortunately don't remember enough to be helpful. Though I believe it is possible - hopefully there won't be 'issues' making the ipod-to-software connection that require reformating and starting fresh.

Seems like what you really would want to do is copy the tunes onto your computer - that way you'll always have them since the odds are good that you'll have to reformat at some point and then they'll be gone.

good luck and enjoy your new 'pod.

Dell Inspiron XPS M1530(XP) , 500GB internal/500GB external for music & photos -- 32 GB iPhone 4 -- 16 GB iPad/Wi-Fi only -- 64GB iPod Touch -- 80GB 5G Video iPod -- Shuffle 2G -- iTunes/MC12 -- Etymotic ER-4P
Old 04-25-2004, 07:23 PM

Dream Digital

Welcome. I Pod. U Pod. We Pod!

If u plan to use iTunes then do not, under any circumstances, enable automatic syncing. When iTunes first recognise the iPod connected to the computer it will ask you whether u want to auto-sync or not. Select No to disable it.

You can then add your own songs to the iPod without affecting the ones already on it, by dragging ur songs from the iTunes library to the iPod. Although I would reccommend eventually backing up the collection that is on the iPod already. Use a program like IpodAgent to copy the songs on the iPod (or parts of it since u dont have the hd space) to the computer and burning them to cd/dvd, then delete them from the computer.

think different, change expectations, dream digital -- Me
a boy's will is the wind's will, and the thoughts of youth are long long thoughts -- Longfellow
Old 04-27-2004, 05:17 PM

Geek with an iPod...

Quote:
Originally posted by noogabooga
Welcome. I Pod. U Pod. We Pod!

If u plan to use iTunes then do not, under any circumstances, enable automatic syncing. When iTunes first recognise the iPod connected to the computer it will ask you whether u want to auto-sync or not. Select No to disable it.

You can then add your own songs to the iPod without affecting the ones already on it, by dragging ur songs from the iTunes library to the iPod. Although I would reccommend eventually backing up the collection that is on the iPod already. Use a program like IpodAgent to copy the songs on the iPod (or parts of it since u dont have the hd space) to the computer and burning them to cd/dvd, then delete them from the computer.
are you ABSOLUTELY sure that it will ask me the first time i connect it? i just reformatted my laptop hard drive, and i want to be 100% sure that it doesn't default to auto-sync. i searched in other topics and found that windows should recognize ipod as an external hard drive before instaling iTunes. if it does, to install itunes only...not the updater (i figured that out on my own though)...like i said, i dont want to lose my 2000+ songs...

Model: 3G 20GB - "iJohnson"
Purchased: 02/12/2004
What's on my iPod?

Topic: used ipod - how to install software without losing songs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.