Connecting ipod to amp?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

rf4c

Hi everybody,
I've been using a very humble system for several years:

An iPod Classic mounted in a Purei20 Dock, going out through optical cable to
a TEAC AH-01 Integrated amp and a pair of Q Acoustic speakers.

Recently my grandkids killed my Purei20!!

I've tried to figure how to get the iPod to the amp without the Purei20.

I've had several people tell me to just use the headphone jack to line in on the amp, but I'd like to come out through the 30Pin onnector to maintain sound quality.

I thought of using a headphone amp/usb dac (the portability would be useful)
and I looked at options as follows:
1) FiiO Q1II Portable Headphone Amplifier & DAC
2) Oppo HA-2SE Portable Headphone Amplifier & DAC
3) Denon DA-10 USB Headphone Amplifier & DAC

The guy in my audio store says using one of these will destroy my amp, and also suggests the line in cable from the headphone jack.

Just wondered what you guys think? Is there any other better way?

Many thanks and best wishes to all

Jim

cjmnews

Staff member
While I don't think these devices will destroy your amp, I also don't think they will be as good as the original solution, since you are basically converting from the digital signal to an amplified headphone jack, that you could connect to the Line In jacks.

The FiiO is not going to work as the iPod does not provide power.
The Oppo is intended for portable use, and it may not allow you to be plugged in and use it. It looks good for headphone use, not sure about this use case.
The Denon looks the best for connectivity as it clearly supports your iPod connecting directly. Though the plug in problem is still there from the manual:
This unit cannot be charged when the power is on if the charge mode selection switch (CHARGE) is set
to OFF. Turn the power off or set the charge mode selection switch (CHARGE) to ON
I am not a fan of the the headphone to RCA converter without amplification as it requires you to turn up the iPod volume near max to be handled properly by the amp. It is a cheap solution < $12, where your other solutions look quite expensive.

In the end it is up to you. I have been picking up amplifiers that are iPod compatible for my solution. But they are 6x the size of yours.

rf4c

Thank you!

Hi and best wishes,

Many thanks for a very quick and well informed reply.

I guess I need to research some more, but your comments and advice
has broadened my understanding and is bound to save
both time and money!

I'm sincerely grateful to you for your post.

Very many thanks again and kindest wishes

Jim

mbr12

There are cables on ebay that connect to the 30 connector and output usb for charging and either 1/8" stereo plug or RCA jacks. They will connect to your stereo. I have used them to connect my ipod to my car and home audio. No remote capability of course.