Some issues solved. - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Some issues solved.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Some issues solved.

Hi,
I'd like to post my experience getting this ipod to work. It may answer some questions that have come up from time to time.
I bought a Classic gen 5 with a 256 gb ssd in it. It was stuck on the Apple logo, but I knew that and it was only $40, so why not. Even if the drive was toast, I was going to put in a micro-sd based adapter in it anyway.
The first step was to try and get recognized by the computer and iTunes. It would go into disc mode for a second, then go back to the Apple logo, so would not connect to iTunes. By going into diagnostic mode and going through all the diagnostics, it still wouldn't boot, but it would now go into disc mode and stay there. I don't know why, but it did.
Now it would connect to the computer. By going to iTunes, I could see all the songs on it. Almost 200 gb worth! Most of it was not my thing, but some was. So before restoring, I wanted to get the music off of it and save it.
I needed to download the music with the track info before I imported into iTunes. I only wanted to import the stuff I wanted to keep, so I needed to see the artists and songs first. I tried a bunch of free programs and didn't like any of them for one reason or another. I downloaded Winamp and it's ipod plug-in, that did the job. But 200 gb of music was taking too long. After leaving it overnight to cook, it was only 1/3 of the way through, so gave up on that. Got about 60 gb though.
Now I can erase and restore, but iTunes would come up with an error. This was solved by going to My Computer and right clicking on the ipod. It must be in disc mode. Then did a format in Fat32 or Exfat32. That cleared the whole drive and whatever was corrupting it. Now iTunes went through the restore process and installed the OS.
I now had a fresh, like new ipod Classic 5 with 256gb. I synced my iTunes library normally and added the new music and it works like a champ.
I hope this process will help others renew their ipod instead of giving up on them.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:35 PM

To recover the songs, you create a new library in iTunes with a different Media Folder location.

-- Hold Shift then start iTunes, in the window choose new library, name it iPodImport or something weird, putting it in a folder that your normal iTunes does not use, then in iTunes click on Edit->Preferences, Advanced tab, write down the original location and change the location to a new folder in that location.

Then Copy off all the <4HEX>.<ext> (Example: F0A4.m4a) files to a different folder named iPodFiles. In iTunes use the File->Add Folder to Library command, and choose the iPodFiles folder.

Once imported, you will see the artists and albums that were populated with the songs before the sync. Expect a lot of Unknown Artist and Unknown Albums from MP3 files as iTunes does a poor job writing updated tags to those files.

Now you can try and fix the Unknown Artists/Albums by listening to them, and updating their information in Get Info.

Last you Export the tracks you want by creating yet another folder called Keepers, and open this folder in Windows Explorer. Select the tracks you want in iTunes, drag from iTunes and drop into the Keepers folder.

Close iTunes.
Hold Shift and open iTunes, select your original library.
In iTunes, click on Edit->Preferences, Advanced tab and set the default Media Folder location to the original value.
Click on File->Add Folder to Library choose the Keepers folder.

When done, delete the iPodImport and iPodFiles folder. If your library copies your files to the default Media Folder, then you can delete the Keepers folder too.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-12-2018, 04:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

I suppose that's another, more complicated, way. There were 28,000 tracks, and I didn't them want all in iTunes, even if it was a separate library.
Winamp with it's ipod plug-in is simpler and more suited to my needs. I stored everything it downloaded from the ipod into a folder on an external drive, complete with all track info and the actual song file. That way I could peruse the music at my leisure and delete what I didn't want before importing into iTunes, and still go ahead with the format/restore.

Topic: Some issues solved.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.