Manually managed iPod data recovery

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

LauraSoup

Hi all,

This is my first time posting in iLounge. I've come here because I'm absolute at my wits end.

On 14 June, I noticed my iPod classic (160gb) was behaving strangely. I plugged it into my Windows PC, which recognised it needed repairing. I've had pop-ups from Windows before about the iPod, but never that it needed repairing. I've always ignored them for fear it would damage the structure of the drive but at this time figured my fears were ungrounded.

But they weren't. After Windows "repaired" the drive, iTunes no longer recognised it had any music on it, though it did show there was lots of data on it (counted as "other"). since nothing has been deleted or formatted, I'm convinced the data is still on the iPod somewhere. I'm not giving up! I've been able to recover my music but I've got a party coming up next week which I'd created a playlist for. Does anyone know how I can recover that too?

TL;DR: how do I get playlists back from a manually managed "repaired" iPod classic?

cjmnews

Staff member
Usually in that state, you would need to recover the iPod using iTunes which will erase it and rebuild the iPod.

It seems that you didn't keep a copy of what you had on it in iTunes as expected.

It is unlikely that you'll be able to recover it, but you could try buying CopyTrans to see if that can recover your playlist and music.

Outside of that you can try to recover the music with the free iTunes back door option, but playlists, ratings, etc. can't be recovered this way: Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article