iPod Classic 160GB (Late 2009) - May be corrupted?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Traxis_Tabogger

About a week ago I was using iTunes with my iPod plugged in when iTunes suddenly crashed. I was unable to close iTunes using the task manager so I had to restart my computer. After my computer had restarted I tried to reopen iTunes by clicking on the desktop icon, but nothing would happen. It turned out that iTunes would only open when my iPod wasn't plugged in.
Today I sat down to try and sort out this problem but things have gone from bad to worse...

My iPod cannot be safely ejected from my computer, when I try to this an error message appears.
A lot of my iPod's memory is now being taken up by something under the category 'other'. This was not there before the initial iTunes crash.
My computer doesn't seem to recognize my iPod; it does not appear as a device in 'my computer' (or my windows 8 equivalent 'this PC').

In an attempt to sole these problems I tried to restore my iPod and now it is stuck in 'disk mode'. When I try to exit disk mode a message appears which says "use iTunes to restore" in a number of languages with a picture of the white usb cable. I can't use iTunes to do this because, as I have mentioned, my iPod causes it to crash.

Any help here would be appreciated. Is my iPod corrupted? Is the hard drive broken? My iPod was purchased new less than a year ago.
Help getting out of disk mode would be very helpful.

Thank you

cjmnews

Staff member
You need to resolve the iPod not being recognized by iTunes.
Normally I would give you a link to fixing iPod issues, but Apple has replaced it with the IOS help page.
iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch not recognized in iTunes for Windows
Typically the driver is the problem.

Once that is resolved a Restore of your iPod should resolve the excess space and usage issues.

You may need to tell us what the can't eject error is, if the above stuff does not help.

Traxis_Tabogger

Thank you for your reply. I've tried these things and iTunes just crashes every time I plug in my iPod. As soon as I unplug my iPod it will start working again.

As for the ejecting problem, this message appears:
"Windows is unable to stop the device 'USB Mass Storage Device'. Don't remove this device while it is still in use. Close any problems using this device and then remove it."

cjmnews

Staff member
You have rebooted?
Have you uninstalled all apple products (iTunes, iTunes Mobile Device Service, Bonjour, Quicktime, etc) and reinstalled iTunes?

Have you tried to delete the Apple Mobile Device driver, then unplug and replug in your iPod?

Do you get a possible corrupt drive message when you plug in the iPod? Have you let Windows repair it.

cjmnews

Staff member
What I had to do with my iPod Nano that had a bad driver loaded was:

Start->Control Panel, Device Manager, open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers (USB) section.
Click on View->Show Hidden Devices.

Find the iPod Device Manager
Right click it and choose Properties
Click on Update Driver
Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Click on Apple iPod USB Driver if it is there.
If it is not there uncheck Show compatible hardware
Click on Apple, Inc. on the left
Click on Apple iPod USB Driver on the right.
You should see the device added, and show up in iTunes.

The other thing I tried when it was not recognized at all was:
Uninstall all Apple software (again)
Remove the driver for the iPod (right click it in Device Manager and choose uninstall)
unplug the iPod
Reboot
Install iTunes
plug in the iPod.

Traxis_Tabogger

I found the iPod in the device manager but when I try and right click on it the device manager crashes. I think my iPod might have met its end. Everything I try ends in failure. It's seems strange that such a young device is experiencing so many problems.

cjmnews

Staff member
Have you tried a different cable? Preferably an Apple one?