Itunes freezes up during downloads

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

FOAD

Hello I did a diagnosis: I am authorized and the Administrator!! It used to work really, please any suggestions mucho appreciatti! I am using an Ipod classic, no new gizmos...
Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Acer Aspire X1420G
iTunes 11.2.0.115
QuickTime 7.7.5
FairPlay 2.6.12
Apple Application Support 3.0.3
iPod Updater Library 11.1f5
CD Driver 2.2.3.0
CD Driver DLL 2.1.3.1
Apple Mobile Device 7.1.1.3
Apple Mobile Device Driver not found.
Bonjour 3.0.0.10
Gracenote SDK 1.9.6.502
Gracenote MusicID 1.9.6.115
Gracenote Submit 1.9.6.143
Gracenote DSP 1.9.6.45

iTunes Serial Number 00D5B7880CB8D208

Current user is not an administrator.
The current local date and time is 2014-05-20 16:25:53.
iTunes is not running in safe mode.
WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.
HDCP is not supported.
Core Media is supported.

Video Display Information

NVIDIA , NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

Invalid LowerFilters registry value.
For more information, click Help.
iPodService 11.2.0.115 (x64) is currently running.
iTunesHelper 11.2.0.115 is currently running.
Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

**** Network Connectivity Tests ****

Network Adapter Information

Adapter Name: {E0EF81FC-DF42-443C-989A-74A0A3FFFDF7}
Description: TAP-Windows Adapter V9
IP Address: 173.0.9.87
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 173.0.9.1
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 173.0.9.254
Lease Obtained: Tue May 20 15:51:54 2014

Lease Expires: Wed May 20 15:51:54 2015

DNS Servers: 8.8.8.8

Adapter Name: {1E4D4446-A4BA-45BC-A7A5-2C460EEB18CB}
Description: NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained: Tue May 20 15:49:44 2014

Lease Expires: Wed May 21 15:49:44 2014

DNS Servers: 192.168.0.1

Active Connection: LAN Connection
Connected: Yes
Online: Yes
Using Modem: No
Using LAN: Yes
Using Proxy: No

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.
iTunes is NOT enabled in Windows Firewall.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.
Basic connection to the store failed.
The network connection timed out.
Connection attempt to Gracenote server was successful.
Last successful iTunes Store access was 2014-05-20 16:25:48.

kornchild2002

There's a couple of things that stand out in your report. First, you aren't actually an administrator in your Windows account so you need to look into that. Second, iTunes is not listed as an allowed program through Windows Firewall so you need to change. It looks like the Firewall is blocking your connection to the iTunes Store as the connection keeps timing out (which means iTunes is trying to access the Store, your Firewall is blocking it, and then iTunes is giving up).

FOAD

Hello KornChild2002, I noticed the things you mention after I delved into it a bit more after composing help request.. Let me ask you this please: My Ipod is a classic Old 30gb and the main machine I am using now for itunes is this one as described above. What version of itunes should I use, please? I completely uninstalled itunes et al. (yes completely) and I want to start over. I have done this since posting this request and it said it was sucessful install but when I went to open it it had error about " the library was using using newer version" than was compatible with the itunes installed? Also I am sole administrator and don't understand the firewall issue as it was allowed under permissions. I hope both these issues go away with a fresh install. Thank you! FOAD/Oregon

kornchild2002

Unfortunately, since you already installed a new version of iTunes, you cannot go back to an older version. Once a new version of iTunes is installed, it will go through and update your main library file to the latest version so that older editions of iTunes will no longer be able to read it. So go ahead and download the latest version of iTunes from Apple's website. Make sure you download the appropriate version though as there are two: 32-bit and 64-bit. You need to download the 64-bit version for Windows.

Ever since Microsoft made changes with Windows Vista, people are no longer considered an "administrator" when they setup their system. This kind of happened back when Windows XP Pro was released but it completely took affect with Vista and above. Generally the default user has administrator privileges but they aren't considered an actual administrator. This shouldn't be a big deal as you can still install programs, remove programs, change network settings, etc. But I think that's why iTunes is reporting you as not being an administrator.

An easy way to test the Windows firewall block is to install iTunes, add it to the allowed list (Windows should give you a prompt when accessing the iTunes Store), and see how it goes. If you are still having issues, turn off iTunes and completely disable the Windows firewall. It will be fine if you do that just for this test. Open iTunes once the firewall is turned off and try accessing it's online features again.

FOAD

Hello, I re-installed the latest and used 64 but now when I try to open itunes it says: the file " i tunes library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes., and will not open at all. Don't have a clue now. ]
Thanks, Mike

kornchild2002

That means you didn't install the latest version. Go to Apple's website and download iTunes again making sure you get the 64-bit edition.

FOAD

Hello, I successfully re-installed a version (11.2.0.115X64) that works with the library again and am now back to where I started.. with itunes locking and freezing while downloading podcasts. It used to download multiple Pcasts simutaneously and just chug right along until they finished but seems that since recent updates something is grinding it to a halt? Thanks for any further support or suggestions, etc.
Mike

FOAD

Yes, checked firewall, has permissions. I tried another way to download from the store, from the podcast and not from the list and that seems to help it progress and download better. Guess thats as good as it's gonna get. Thanks.
FOAD

kornchild2002

Go back and check the firewall settings. In Windows 7, click on Start, Control Panel, System and Security, and then Windows Firewall. Click "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" and then click on Change Settings in the Allow Programs and Features window. Make sure iTunes is enabled for both public and private networks. If it isn't listed, click on Allow another program, find iTunes (Program Files (x86)), and add it ensuring that it is enabled for both public and private networks. Save those settings and get out of the Control Panel. You should restart your system, open the Control Panel back up, and see if the settings were saved.

If that doesn't work, you need to completely disable the Windows firewall and see if you can download content from the iTunes Store. Your previous posts have already shown that, for whatever reason, Windows is not giving iTunes permission to access the iTunes Store even though you say it's enabled in the Windows firewall.

Last edited:

FOAD

Hello, I checked itunes and it is allowed both private and public. I completely disabled Firewall and it will simultaneously download several podcasts. I will re enable the Firewall and try it again later to see if there is a difference when I refresh the Podcast list again.. allowing for updated shows.. Thanks, Mike aka FOAD

FOAD

Hello, any way around having to always accept changes to Hard Drive on Windows 7 when opening up itunes? My itunes is working better now.
Thank you,
FOAD

cjmnews

Staff member
There is no way to prevent iTunes from changing your hard drive when opening.

It opens your library file (iTunes Library.itl) for read-write
then it checks for App Updates and if there are some, updates your library with the results
then it checks for Podcast subscriptions, and if there are new episodes, updates your library with the results
If you play a track, it updates the library with the results
If you sync a device, it updates the library with the results, and updates the backup if enabled, plus logs the last time the device was seen by iTunes, plus copies any error logs off of the device, etc.

So there are too many updates occurring to prevent changes to your hard drive.

FOAD

Thanks, CJMnews.. to make sure I get it .. there is no way to go around it asking me permission every time I click on itunes to open it up on my desktop and that it has to go thru the process it takes, is this correct? Ok I get it .. no biggee just thought admin rights or something would allow me to circumvent somehow..
Thanks, Mike -S. Oregon - aka foad

cjmnews

Staff member
iTunes expects that you have administrator rights. It sounds like you either don't have administrator rights or don't have ownership of the files (reinstalled OS, and used same data drive, or data drive from different computer).

I am not aware of administrator issues with Vista and iTunes. It seemed to work for me when I was on it, and is still working fine on my son's Vista computer. I would check ownership. I have discussed this before: http://forums.ilounge.com/ipod-nano/251029-ipod-itunes-count-not-working.html#post1345406

FOAD

Hello, this resolved the instance of having to always allow the program permissions:
1. Right click on iTune’s desktop shortcut (icon), select Properties and then the Compatibility tab.
2. Un-check the option: “Run this program as an administrator”.
3. If this option is grayed out, then click on “Change setting for all users” and un-check this option in this window. on a Microsoft support post related to this by Mann_Manohar, Mar 4, 2014.
"Window 7 pro -64 it - UAC issues with iTunes" in Microsoft Community forum.