Advice: Should I upgrade?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jackshephard

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like to ask for some advice.

I own a 6G 80gb iPod Classic which I had bought in 2008 for about $210. This has been the only gadget of mine that I cannot live without and has given me not troubles point blank. The iPod screen has a pretty big dead pixel area which doesn't bother me much though. However, a few weeks ago, my iPod started showing a Pending sector in its HDD diagnostic and started malfunctioning which I fixed by formatting it. The Realloc count is now 140 sectors and it has no Pending sectors anymore.

The Apple stores near me are letting me exchange my iPod for the new 7G/6.5G iPod Classic 160gb (retail price in my country is about $335) by paying $140. I know this might seem an extremely obvious choice to many, and though I am willing to shell out the 140, I am a college student so most such decisions require prior thought. So finally, should I or should I not upgrade my iPod for the new one?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
If you're getting a full Apple warranty out of the deal, $140 for a new (or likely refurbished) 160GB iPod Classic is a great price. If you're not getting a full year warranty, then I'd be very cautious.

A solid-state memory based iPod like the Touch is going to be more durable than a hard drive iPod, but if the storage space of a Classic is important to you then a new or refurbished Touch may not be worth the extra cost if storage is an issue.

jackshephard

It is a new device and not refurbished and as far as I am aware comes with the 1 yr warranty. I know the disadvantages of the HDD but I need that space. And thanks for your advice :)

jackshephard

OK, so I got this confirmed today that the product will be new and sealed, but I will not be provided any accessories i.e. the charging cable or earphones, just the unit. The warranty lasts for 90 days.

I also asked if they knew how long this offer would last and their reply was "until Apple declares your iPod as vintage".

kornchild2002

You are getting a refurbished iPod. If it were a completely new model and sealed in its package, it would come with a USB syncing cable along with headphones and documentation. Apple does not sell iPods all by themselves, they only send out iPods like that if they have been refurbished.

Refurbished iPods come with the same one year warranty as new units but there is absolutely no way that you are buying a brand new iPod. Even at that price, I think its worth the upgrade. You could sell your current iPod for about $50 and end up paying $170 for a new 160GB iPod classic or just go this route.

It's up to you but the upgrade is nice. You are doubling storage capacity, getting something that isn't as worn (and has gone through a series of tests), and it has better battery life. If capacity is that much of an issue to you, I recommend going with the upgrade.

jackshephard

You are getting a refurbished iPod. If it were a completely new model and sealed in its package, it would come with a USB syncing cable along with headphones and documentation. Apple does not sell iPods all by themselves, they only send out iPods like that if they have been refurbished.

Refurbished iPods come with the same one year warranty as new units but there is absolutely no way that you are buying a brand new iPod. Even at that price, I think its worth the upgrade. You could sell your current iPod for about $50 and end up paying $170 for a new 160GB iPod classic or just go this route.

It's up to you but the upgrade is nice. You are doubling storage capacity, getting something that isn't as worn (and has gone through a series of tests), and it has better battery life. If capacity is that much of an issue to you, I recommend going with the upgrade.
I asked the people at the service center thrice if the iPod would be a new one or a refurbished one and they confirmed every time that it would be an entirely new product. I even asked them that since they would just be giving me the unit how could I be sure of that, and their reply for that question was that if I desired, they would open the unsealed new iPod in front of me. But since you are so sure about this I'll contact Apple directly today and get a confirmation from them. My other concern is to get straightened out whether the replacement will be a 2007 issue or 2009 issue because I have heard horror stories about the 2007 one.

kornchild2002

Like I said, Apple doesn't sell sealed iPods with just the units themselves. They only do that for refurbished iDevices (even then, they include everything necessary when selling refurbished iDevices and include only the device itself if you are bringing one in for exchange). Fully new and sealed iPods always come with headphones and the USB cable. Otherwise they aren't completely sealed and those things have been taken out of the box. That is a fact. You can easily tell if it is a 2007 or 2009 unit. The 2009 unit is the same thickness as your current iPod while the 2007 160GB classic is almost twice as thick.

jackshephard

Oh I am sorry if I wasn't being clear earlier, the sealed box they would open would contain the earphones and the usb cable with the manual and stuff, however they would not provide me all that, just the unit. I confirmed with with Apple Care today and they assured me that the product would not be a refurbished one.

And thanks for providing the 2009 vs 2007 classic difference !

kornchild2002

OK. So they are taking the retail package, opening it, and removing everything but the iPod. That is no longer a sealed unit once they open it. The plastic wrap might still be hanging onto the retail box but it is no longer sealed. Breaking any seal invalidates the whole "sealed" aspect. However, that is definitely worth taking yours in to trade up. I also highly doubt they would be doing this with 2007 iPods since those haven't been manufactured in 5 years (they likely stopped manufacturing them in mid-2007 and started with the 2008 iPod classic).

Either way, it sounds like a really good deal.