Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod mini overheating?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod mini overheating?

Hello,

I have a quick question about an iPod mini.

I salvaged an iPod mini with a dead battery, intending to replace the battery and use it for music again.

Once I purchased a new battery and turned on the device, it began to charge and sync - however, after about 15 minutes of charging the device became very hot and the screen began to turn black. Naturally I killed power to the device.

It seems to have charged somewhat, and the battery seems to hold a charge. I can play music without the device heating up, but I don't want to risk starting a fire every time I want to use this iPod.

Is the issue a defective battery, or must the logic board be replaced? How should I best go about fixing this problem? I want to spend as little additional money as possible - I already replaced the battery and the click wheel, and I'm planning on removing the hard drive and replacing it with an SSD, so I'm already a little over budget.

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ah my very first iPod! After six months the battery gave up, replaced with refurb unit under warranty. This one died after 7 months. I kept it going by replacing the battery myself several times. Also installed a SSD to increase the size. In the end it was so beaten up, small capacity and the battery was always a problem. I gave up on it and got a classic.

If the battery is heating up quickly it means it is shorting somewhere, most likely the battery itself.
My suggestion is to get to cut your losses and get a nano instead. Those units were not that reliable.

Topic: iPod mini overheating?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.