Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can I have a show of hands?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Can I have a show of hands?

I have just replaced a headphone jack for my friends father-in-law on a 80gb classic 6th gen - tested it for an hour and it was working great!

He collected it from me, took it away and a couple of hours later I got a message saying it had the red X of death. He had tried to use it but got no sound from the headphones so performed a reset and it was at this point the X has come up.

I have had the iPod back and removed the hard drive and tested on a ZIF to USB adapter and nothing is seen by my windows PC (or any computer that i have) and nothing is seen.

I have to diagnose this as a dead hard drive but still replaced the HDD ribbon on the iPod but exactly the same.

Now my question is - have i killed the drive on the headphone jack replacement or has the hard drive decided to fail (or any other suggestions).

I have used this forum loads and really value you guys opinions

Plus if anyone has a spare 80gb hard drive to give away let me know

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

159 views but no opinions??
Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Veteran Lounger

It is hard to say whether you caused the issue or it may have been purely coincidental. The owner may have also dropped it after it was returned which could also cause a hard drive to fail.

The title of your post does not provide much info on your topic, so rather than attracting the people who have a better idea, every passer-by is having a look whether they have an idea or not. This forum is also not as active as it once was so it can take time for the right person to respond, tipically days rather than hours.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM

Especially more than 24 hours for a response. Sometimes it takes a good 2-3 days for people to get their questions answered. After all, the vast majority of members here in the forums volunteer their time. Free service isn't as fast as something that you would pay for.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

In my experience headphone issues (which usally starts with one side going mute) are the sign of the audio portion of the motherboard starting to fail (i.e. mute on headphone and from charging port). So, if there is just one issue here, it may well be the motherboard :-(

I don't know why, but I have had very little success getting iPod HDs visible in a ZIF drive setup. I've had better success swaping the HD into another iPod (i.e to confirm if it's working or not).
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for all the responses so far.

A little puzzled on the mainboard idea - got the audio working on both channels with the new jack and going thru the diagnostics I get the diag halt on the HDD tests but I don't have enough experience to be 100% that it is the drive but could getting the 2nd channel running cause the mainboard to overload in some way??

Unfortunately I don't have another iPod to swap parts around

If it help anyone else I can hear the hard drive spin for a few seconds at power up, it then stops and tries again and again until the red X. I get the same noises on the ZIF adapter and the led on it flashes in sync to the noises. This noise is very faint and I need to hold it to my ear to hear it.

Again massive thanks for the responses
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Veteran Lounger

Sound like the drive died to me. There should be no impact on the hard drive if the headphone jack was properly installed. A poor soldering job on the headphone jack could cause a short on the mainboard which could cause issues. But this would have probably shown up on the initial tests after you put it back together. A poor solder job where a stray ball of solder was missed may cause issues later on. But I suspect the drive just died, the easiest test is swapping parts with know good components.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee View Post
Sound like the drive died to me. There should be no impact on the hard drive if the headphone jack was properly installed. A poor soldering job on the headphone jack could cause a short on the mainboard which could cause issues. But this would have probably shown up on the initial tests after you put it back together. A poor solder job where a stray ball of solder was missed may cause issues later on. But I suspect the drive just died, the easiest test is swapping parts with know good components.
I did a full swap out of headphone jack, hold button and associated ribbon cables so had to lift the HDD up and over to access the connecting cable and have replaced the HDD ribbon to be sure I hadn't damaged it in the process.

Cheers for the advice

Topic: Can I have a show of hands?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.