'Use iTunes to Restore' But it won't show up in iTunes?!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mattjolley

Tried formatting and restoring my 80GB iPod classic after multiple instances of having tonnes of mystery 'other data' which caused my songs not to play, made menus hang, etc.

Now the iPod when restarted (holding menu and select) just says 'Use itunes to restore' after the apple logo, but when you connect it, iTunes doesn't detect it at all, it just shows up in windows explorer after a long wait. Trying to right click it in windows exploere just causes the screen to hang and say 'Not responding'.

Please help!

Oh and when it's connected to the computer it just seems to be in disk mode even though it's just prompted me to restore through iTunes. I'm going up the wall here.

mattjolley

I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I selected all the 'default' options for the iPod.

kornchild2002

I'm talking about when you reformatted it using Windows Explorer (i.e. opening up My Computer, right-clicking on it, and selecting reformat).

kornchild2002

You aren't getting what I am asking. Exactly what did you do? It sounds like you restored it with iTunes and then reformatted the iPod's hard drive using Windows. If you did that, you need to answer my questions. Otherwise it is impossible to help you.

mattjolley

You aren't getting what I am asking. Exactly what did you do? It sounds like you restored it with iTunes and then reformatted the iPod's hard drive using Windows. If you did that, you need to answer my questions. Otherwise it is impossible to help you.
I think that's what I did. Downloaded the latest iTunes, restored through there, then tried to Windows format the thing. It's worked in the past, but now Windows won't complete the format, and a hard reset of the iPod (Holding Menu and Select) says 'Use iTunes to restore' but the iPod won't show up in iTunes.

mattjolley

It seems to be in perpetual disk mode. you perform a reset (holding menu and select) and the apple logo appears, then it just keeps saying 'use itunes to restore' but when you connect it it just appears as a removable disk in windows, itunes doesnt detect it at all.

kornchild2002

So you attempted to reformat it using windows, likely the incorrect usage of the ntfs file system, and that process stopped half way through? You still aren't being clear as to what you have done.