Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to tell the difference between 5th Gen ipod ?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

How to tell the difference between 5th Gen ipod ?

I recently bought a used Ipod Classic at a police sale, and was told it was a 5 gen Ipod. When I went to the Apple store, I noticed that there seems to be two types of 5 gen ipods, both of which may be 80 gig. Since this on is an 80 gig, how do I tell what version I have ? It's black, if that helps. I got no manual with it, so I would like to know if there is anything different between the two. Thanks, sorry if this has come up before, but I could'nt find anything about it.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM

Power Lounger

There should be a serial number/model number on it - when you find that (if it's not visible on the back of the device, it'll come up in iTunes whrn you plug it in), go to the Apple support pages and do a search there - should be able to find what you are looking for.

//iPhone 6 64gb // SOL Republic Tracks Air // Retina iPad Mini 128 gb wifi // Apple TV 3 // iMac 21.5 //
Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, I'll try that. One other question: I also have a 3rd gen Ipod with the old style dock ( just a direct out ). Can I use the 5 gen Ipod in it, or do I have to get a differnt dock for it ? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Power Lounger

5th Gen classic should work, theoretically - the only way to know is to try it.

//iPhone 6 64gb // SOL Republic Tracks Air // Retina iPad Mini 128 gb wifi // Apple TV 3 // iMac 21.5 //
Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncordelle View Post
5th Gen classic should work, theoretically - the only way to know is to try it.

Yes, it does. Thanks.

Topic: How to tell the difference between 5th Gen ipod ?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.