Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod classic Randomly turns off, won't turn back on

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry iPod classic Randomly turns off, won't turn back on

Hi, first post here. This is regarding the 160 gb ipod classic. It is the 2nd version of the ipod classic (slim profile like the 120 gb). Sorry for starting new thread, just didn't feel like sifting through a different one. Anyway, this issue has started over the past 1-2 weeks. I use my ipod anywhere from 3-5 hours a day. Over the past month, I've been ripping my CDs into apple lossless files. I understand that this will reduce the battery life as well as storage space, but I prefer to use higher quality files.

The problem has been coming up with one album in particular. I don't understand what would be wrong with the files as I ripped them the same exact way as the others. Three different times when I've been listening to or trying to listen to this one album, the ipod will shut off and say to connect to power. The battery should not have been anywhere near being dead as I had completely charged it the night before each of these instances. Two of the times, it happened on the second to last song on the album. The last time it happened, the battery icon was showing roughly 2/3rds charged. Then, the second I selected the first song it immediately shut off and I could not turn it back on until I plugged it into a charger. A couple of the times I tried, it would say to restore with itunes. Otherwise, it would not do anything. I listened to make sure the hard drive is trying to spin up which it was.

I have taken the liberty of re-ripping this particular album to see if it continues. Is there some other possible cause for this? The only time I have my ipod plugged into a charger is when the battery is low or if I'm syncing with itunes. I also performed a restore a few days ago before this random shut off happened again the final time. Sorry for the length of this, but any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you.

- Jesse

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM

What are you using to rip/encode these files?

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Just using iTunes. As far as I know, that's the only way to rip into the apple lossless format. I should also mention that I have successfully gotten the album to play all the way through without shutting off when not listening to the ipod. Having a hard time thinking of a logical explanation for this.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Here are other programs that can encode to Apple lossless (ALAC), main,y dbpoweramp and foobar2000 in Windows and XLD in OS X. I wasn't sure if you we're using iTunes or not. I do have a suggestion: encode the same album using AAC or mp3 and see if your iPod still has issues. The bitrate might be too high for the iPod to handle. After all, the iPod classic really wasn't ment for lossless playback with the low powered processor and constant spinning of the HDD wearing down that and the battery faster.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

I haven't gotten around to using any other programs for encoding yet. I did however, decide to try letting itunes convert the files to 256 aac when syncing the ipod. No issues with the one album I was previously referring to now. 2 days ago, it shut off on me again and wouldn't turn on. This time, the battery once again appeared to be around 50% (this was on the screen with the backlight off where the icon is in black). Kept saying to connect to power. About 5 minutes ago, I tried to turn it on again and it came on with the battery bar (green bar with backlight on) is showing right around 50%. Initially, it was showing maybe 25% but then it shot up a bit. The initial shut off happened after close to 11-12 hours of use over a 3 day period.

I have had this iPod for quite some time (over 2 years) so I'm assuming there's a good chance the battery should be replaced. I'm a bit hesitant to try this again because I attempted to do that with my previous ipod classic and inadvertently ruined some wiring which ultimately led to me buying a new one.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 AM

Well, if it shut off while playing the same problematic albums, the issue is clearly with those files. The batteries inside of iDevices easily push 3-4 years now without needing to be replaced. They have 1000+ charge cycles in them. That means that, even if you were to completely drain and charge the battery everyday, it would last for a solid 3 years.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

This shut off did not occur while playing a file that had been problematic. This time, it was anaalbum I had no prior issues with even when it was in the lossless format.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM

So it was a lossless or lossy album it was having issues with? A battery problem would not cause random shutoffs unless it was unable to provide enough voltage/amps. Power fluctuations would cause issues when using the iPod all the time, not randomly. You can determine if the battery is at fault by conducting a battery drain test. Make a playlist (even if the songs are all on repeat) that is over 50 hours long of lossy songs (no lossless!). Fully charge the iPod, plug in a set of standard headphones (i.e. not ones that are huge but rather earbuds), select the playlist, start playing the first song, set the volume to 50%, and walk away. Wait until the iPod is fully drained, plug it back into iTunes, examine the playlist, and see where it left off. Calculate the playtime from that. Anything short of 36 hours (unless its hovering around 34-35) means the battery is decaying. A long battery life means the battery is just fine and something else is the cause.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

It was a lossless album. After converting to lossy, I haven't experienced any further issues with said album. This most recent shut off was with an album that was also previously lossless, but I did not have issues with this one before converting to lossy. I was also to play the same album today without a shut off. There's a total lack of consistency. After turning the iPod on yesterday (following the shut off from 2 days prior without recharging between), I put it on shuffle and was able to get about 5 hours of play time before the battery was in the red. Overall, I'm guessing the total life (including the time before the shut off) would be somewhere between 17-20 hours. I will try your suggestion and start with a full battery to be sure. I should also note that most of the time I'm using the iPod is with a portable speaker and I'll usually have the volume between 75 to 80%.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

JK1985: Have you found any more information about this?
I've been having similar problems, although mine sometimes doesn't even want to reboot after plugging it in to itunes, but needs a restore.
It can work for anything from a few hours to a few days afterwards.

The only thing I might suspect is that I changed the headphone jack a few weeks ago myself as it was out of warranty and broken. Afterwards it worked for a few weeks and only since 2 weeks has been acting up with random reboots and false low battery warnings.

Topic: iPod classic Randomly turns off, won't turn back on

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.