Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Check disk for ipod classic (80 gb) not working

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

Check disk for ipod classic (80 gb) not working

Hey everyone,

I'd been getting error messages for a while every time I synced my ipod with a pop-up window (using Windows 7, fyi) asking if I wanted to scan and fix files on my ipod or continue. I ignored and continued for a while, but now a lot of my songs won't play when I select them, or will play like 2-3 second and then skip.

I tried running the check disk it recommended but when I do that after I press "start" when selecting "automatically fix file system errors" the check disk window just does away and nothing happens. I tried running the chkdsk prompt as well and it just flashed a command prompt and then closed. Anyone know how to scan and fix my iPod if these aren't working? Or do I need to bite the bullet and do a factory restore...

Thanks,

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM

You would be better off restoring it with iTunes. The error you see is actually really common with Windows Vista-Windows 8. Its a bug in Windows itself that MS has never fixed. There actually isn't anything wrong with iPods when it gives that error. It's actually just a coincidence that your iPod is experiencing issues now, it has nothing to do with the error that Windows kept spitting out. You are experiencing either a database corruption or bad sectors are starting to form on your iPod's hard drive. More than likely it is a database issue as a bunch of sectors just don't randomly become corrupted unless you physically damaged your iPod. Either way, restoring it is the best option though you may still get that stupid Windows error.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks so much. I saw a lot of people had that error when searching for a solution, so glad it's not just me. Sounds like there's no way to avoid a full restore then? Have all my music backed up but of course would prefer not having to go that route.

Topic: Check disk for ipod classic (80 gb) not working

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.