Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Column Browser on new itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

Column Browser on new itunes

Since the new version of iTunes came out, I am struggling to use this.

Everything is just on my ipod rather than in the iTunes library.

It seems in the new version you cant use the column browser to view what is on the ipod itself.

Any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 AM

You can use the column browser, you just have to change the view. You can even bring back the sidebar. I suggest Googling instructions on changing the different views so you can have a visual guide. On a side note, I wouldn't be much of an administrator if I told you that keeping media solely on your iPod is one of the worst ideas ever. iPods break down and need restored every now and then. You can spend $40 and get a 500GB external hard drive so there is absolutely no excuse for that behavior.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

Everything is backed up to my PC, it's just the iTunes library I don't use as I prefer to sync everything manually.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

The column browser works fine for the little stuff I have in my iTunes library bit, but for this stuff I can only view in iTunes when my ipod is connected via the devices---ipod---music menu can't get column browser to work with.

I also can't find any instructions via google to get this function back with either.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

As far as I can tell, the column browser view for content on the ipod itself has been removed for some reason. It still works for the regular iTunes Library though, as long as you have the sidebar enabled. I don't understand why they did this, as it made managing and sorting content on the ipod much easier.

You would think, after all this time, and a major redesign, they'd finally fix that annoying iTunes/ipod fragmented album art database bug as well. It should be so easy to do, but it's still there.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 PM

I can assure you that it hasn't been removed as I can view all of the content on any iDevice I have in iTunes with the old column list layout. It's just a matter of getting the sidebar back. From there, you can click on the arrow next to an iDevice, expanding the different categories, and clicking on one. Music brings up the column view of artists, albums, songs, etc. that all falls under music.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Junior Lounger

Location: Starts with a C, ends with an O, and in the middle is "hicag"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
I can assure you that it hasn't been removed as I can view all of the content on any iDevice I have in iTunes with the old column list layout. It's just a matter of getting the sidebar back. From there, you can click on the arrow next to an iDevice, expanding the different categories, and clicking on one. Music brings up the column view of artists, albums, songs, etc. that all falls under music.
I can assure you that it doesn't work...for MANY people. Don't believe me?

Here's the Column Browser, enabled and showing up great in iTunes 11, showing the library on the computer:

Now, here's what I get when I highlight the music on my iPod Classic (named "Kingsford"):

I want to get the same view that the library offers me, but on my iPod.

Now, here's proof that you CANNOT ENABLE COLUMN BROWSER on the iPod with iTunes 11, unless there's a trick that we're not being told:

See how "View Column Browser" is ghosted and ergo unselectable?

How do we get around that? I manage my iPod manually and NEED the column view.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

I don't think it you can get around it, If it's greyed out, it's unelectable and unusable. Again, I don't understand why they did this.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Reclined Lounger

What's the point of removing the column browser to view content on your devices? (or I guess some devices since the behavior is apparently not consistent!)

Very annoying. The column browser is the easiest way to look at content stored on an iPhone/Touch/etc.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:40 AM

Junior Lounger

Location: Starts with a C, ends with an O, and in the middle is "hicag"

UPDATE: The latest iTunes reinstates the iPod Classic Column Browser option!!!!! *whew!*

Topic: Column Browser on new itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.