Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Possibly lost library, please help!!!!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Possibly lost library, please help!!!!!

Alright here is my situation. I've been having problems since updating to iTunes version 11 and may have accidentally deleted my library. It started because my itunes folder which is on an external harddrive was being automatically organized and for some reason kept putting new albums into a folder entitled "music" rather than in the individual artists folders. I'm OCD so I tried rectifying this by moving them but when I did that the songs showed up as missing in my iTunes library. I had iTunes set to copy songs to the library when added and organize the folders automatically so every time I located a missing song it wouldn't give me the option to search that folder for other missing songs. I have over 3000 songs so I wasn't going to locate them all individually.

Next I tried adding the entire itunes library folder to my library under the impression that it would not add songs that were already in my library. Well it did and I ended up with over 6000 songs in my library, half of them duplicates. So I isolated all the duplicate songs and deleted them, only to find out they actually deleted the files from my itunes folder. I probably should have been more careful but I just wasn't thinking.

I do however have a 160 GB ipod classic with all my music stored on it, as well as info such as play counts, ratings, etc. I have heard there are ways to transfer all this from an ipod to an empty itunes, but i'm very nervous about losing all my music as well as tracking info. I've lost my itunes library once before and really worried about losing it again. I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks in advance.

And if it helps I'm running Windows XP on an older laptop, hence the external harddrive.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Power Lounger

Read the iLounge tutorial:
Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article

After you have it all sorted out, start doing regular backups.

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

I just love your blog.Thanks for posting it freelegalcounselling egal counselling, free legal advice, free legal aid, free legal service, legal help, free legal help online, visa problem, divorce cases, pakistani advocates, advocates in pakistan, pakistani laws
i have something that someone comeback again….there is a lot of useful information a person can get from here…I must say[

Topic: Possibly lost library, please help!!!!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.