Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: problems with 240gb ipod mod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

problems with 240gb ipod mod

Howdy all,

This is my first time posting here as I seem to run into an issue with my modded ipod. I finally, after 5 years of using my 80gb ipod, bought one of the toshiba 240gb hdd. I installed it no problem (in the past I've replaced the logic board and LCD screen on the same unit). I got it all loaded up with my music and such, plugged it into my car (USB to a pioneer deh-9400), and it worked great. However, after work, I got in the car and the battery on the ipod was totally dead. Now usually, the ipod turns off after a few minutes after the car turns off, but that was not the case this time. It finally started up and charged in my car while I drove. When I got home, though, it would not shut off the normal way and I had to do the "menu+center button" hard reset. I went back out to my car, plugged it back in, played a song, then turned off the car and the ipod still did not shut down (whereas it was shutting down with the 80gb hdd). However, when I unplugged it or had it plugged into a wall charger, it would turn off after a few minutes.

I have 182gb of music on there (18,854 tracks), which isn't as much as I've seen other people rocking. I also can't use rockbox or my car stereo won't work properly, which is very important to me.

I restored it this evening and I am currently loading it up with tunes (it's going to be a few hours) and I'll be testing it again tomorrow. I was curious if anyone had experienced this issue and had any advice. Could it be a bad HDD? I've seen some posts about getting a bigger battery, but since my ipod is almost always plugged in, I didn't think that'd be an issue.

Also, while I'm here, is it normal for it to take a bit to boot up if the apple logo is showing? I assume it is because of the size of the drive.

Any help here is much appreciated. I'd really like to have all my music in my car/pocket, but if this is going to be an issue, I'll just have to live with 80gb

Thanks!

EDIT: I restored it overnight and it loaded up fine, however, it will still not shut down at all. I put my 80gb hdd back in it and it works just fine.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hi Slicetwo,

I would recommend either changing the logic board or HDD. To me, those two components are the most critical of any inside the iPod, and usually any problems can be remedied by replacing one of the two.

One other thing to consider in your case would be whether you would like to upgrade to the 7th Gen logic board (either on your own or by purchasing new) to use Apple's Genius functionality.

If you're still in the market for a 240GB iPod, I may be able to help. I've recently started up a small business catering specifically to this need. My 7th Gen, 240GB iPod Classics use all new parts.

My eBay user ID is tsandrew. I can't post links here, but hopefully you can find the one I sold recently.

One of my buddies is selling another one for me, same price, eBay user hkailiu.

If that one sells by the time you read this, please contact me to arrange a purchase.

Cheers!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

I've also upgraded my 80gb ipod with the 240gb toshiba drive and I use it in my car. While I upgraded I also changed the battery, nothing else has been changed. I've experienced no problems with the unit not shutting off in the car. But note I am only using wave files on it, no mp3.

Topic: problems with 240gb ipod mod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.