Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The iPod cannot be restored because.....!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Junior Lounger

The iPod cannot be restored because.....!

it contains files that are in use by another application...!!!?!?!

I've done the steps advised below.....still comes up with the same error though.....can anyone help, please?? I didn't have the option to put it into FAT32.....is that where the problem lies?

Quote:
Here are the steps i found online to get my annoying Ipod to work! I fixed it in WINDOWS XP, so i have no guarantee if you are going to get the same results, but you can try?? lol..

Step one: Putting your Ipod into "Disk Mode". Instructions are in this link- Putting iPod into Disk Mode

Step 2: Plug your Ipod in the computer.

Step 3: Go to "My Computer" which may be on your desktop or Start menu.. and you'll see your Ipod name listed. Example: "RVPRESETS(E: )"

Step 4: RIGHT CLICK on "YourIpodName(E: )" icon and you'll see a list, look for "Format..." and click on it.

Step 5: A small window will show up, Now look, it will say Capacity, File system, Alllocation Unit Size, Volume Label and Format Options. MAKE SURE the FILE SYSTEM is in FAT32.

Step 6: For "Format options" at the bottom, put a check on the box where it says "Quick Format" then click START. This should format your Ipod, and YES you probably will end up losing all your music and photos and whatever else you have, it's worth it though, because you don't want to get stuck with a Ipod that doesn't work!!

Now you can open your Itunes program and it will receive the Ipod as a new Ipod, like the first time you got it, it's going to ask for a new name for your Ipod, ETC, ETC, so you can now restore it, etc.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Junior Lounger

Can anyone help? This is driving me insane
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM

Junior Lounger

What other forums are there that are good with iPods that I could try? Should I take the thing back as it should still be in warrenty.....
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am having some of the same problems and I just tried the steps listed above. My ipod shows up in my computer but when I right click on it and then click on format, I get an error message that says "there is no disk in drive E" So very frustrated!!!!!

Topic: The iPod cannot be restored because.....!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.