Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: No artist listed in menu

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

No artist listed in menu

Have had a Nano for 4 years and just resently up graded to a classic. Got it about 8 months ago, glad I did before they became extinct. Anyway got it all loaded from itunes just 4200 songs. Was looking through the ipod and couldn't find a particular artist. Had been on the nano and it was in itunes. Finally found the artist and all the songs, but its only listed under the album. So what I'm I doning wrong, is there something in the ipod classic settings that I need to change.?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM

Well, assuming your track tag information is all correct and plugged in, it sounds like you may have had a bad sync. Restore the iPod with iTunes and sync everything back over again. That is going to be the easiest and least time consuming option at this point. You are going to have a bunch of issues if your track tags aren't filled in. However, since you said everything was fine on the iPod nano, I assume everything is fine with your track tag info.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

no artist

Yup, thats the first thing that I did, check the tags and song/ artist info. will however restore and resync. Will let you know. Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 PM

Veteran Lounger

Are the songs set to be a part of a compilation?

The setting is found in the Get Info's Options tab if you select multiple tracks or the Info tab if you select an individual track. Either change the setting in the tags or turn the option off on the iPod's Settings.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Actually, my guess is that this is a Compilation issue. If an album (or just a song) is tagged as "Part of a Compilation" it will not be found under the Artist menu if you have the "Compilation filter" activated on the iPod.

The first thing to confirm is if the items in question really are Compilations (e.g. an album consisting of multiple artists, not a "Best Of" album of a single artist that erroneously gets tagged as a Compilation by Gracenote's database errors).

If the items are not Compilations, go into Get Info and de-select that option. This is on the Options tab if you're editing a single item, or if you're going into Get Info for multiple selected items there is only one window and you'll find the Compilation check box there.

If the items really are Compilations, then you have two options:

(a) Turn the iPod's Compilation filter OFF. On the Classic I think it is Settings/Menu/Compilations/Off and Settings/Music/Compilations/Off. Turning off these Compilation menu items effectively lets all artists into the Artist menu, even if you only have one song by them from a Compilation album.

(b) Leave the Compilation filter ON, and access the item through the Music/Compilation menu.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Actully it was all of the above which did the trick. The Settings/Menu/Compilations/Off and Settings/Music/Compilations/Off. By unchecking this in iTunes and in the iPod is what did the trick. Though the reseting also helped, had a bunch of updates that the ipod needed and fixes. Thanks for all the helpfull replys.

Topic: No artist listed in menu

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.