No artist listed in menu

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

taterdog

Have had a Nano for 4 years and just resently up graded to a classic. Got it about 8 months ago, glad I did before they became extinct. Anyway got it all loaded from itunes just 4200 songs. Was looking through the ipod and couldn't find a particular artist. Had been on the nano and it was in itunes. Finally found the artist and all the songs, but its only listed under the album. So what I'm I doning wrong, is there something in the ipod classic settings that I need to change.?

kornchild2002

Well, assuming your track tag information is all correct and plugged in, it sounds like you may have had a bad sync. Restore the iPod with iTunes and sync everything back over again. That is going to be the easiest and least time consuming option at this point. You are going to have a bunch of issues if your track tags aren't filled in. However, since you said everything was fine on the iPod nano, I assume everything is fine with your track tag info.

taterdog

no artist

Yup, thats the first thing that I did, check the tags and song/ artist info. will however restore and resync. Will let you know. Thanks

Sparkee

Are the songs set to be a part of a compilation?

The setting is found in the Get Info's Options tab if you select multiple tracks or the Info tab if you select an individual track. Either change the setting in the tags or turn the option off on the iPod's Settings.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Actually, my guess is that this is a Compilation issue. If an album (or just a song) is tagged as "Part of a Compilation" it will not be found under the Artist menu if you have the "Compilation filter" activated on the iPod.

The first thing to confirm is if the items in question really are Compilations (e.g. an album consisting of multiple artists, not a "Best Of" album of a single artist that erroneously gets tagged as a Compilation by Gracenote's database errors).

If the items are not Compilations, go into Get Info and de-select that option. This is on the Options tab if you're editing a single item, or if you're going into Get Info for multiple selected items there is only one window and you'll find the Compilation check box there.

If the items really are Compilations, then you have two options:

(a) Turn the iPod's Compilation filter OFF. On the Classic I think it is Settings/Menu/Compilations/Off and Settings/Music/Compilations/Off. Turning off these Compilation menu items effectively lets all artists into the Artist menu, even if you only have one song by them from a Compilation album.

(b) Leave the Compilation filter ON, and access the item through the Music/Compilation menu.

Good luck!

taterdog

Actully it was all of the above which did the trick. The Settings/Menu/Compilations/Off and Settings/Music/Compilations/Off. By unchecking this in iTunes and in the iPod is what did the trick. Though the reseting also helped, had a bunch of updates that the ipod needed and fixes. Thanks for all the helpfull replys.