Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod 4g 2gb cf mod disk image needed

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

ipod 4g 2gb cf mod disk image needed

uh oh, guys, this may seem a little bit awkward, but, after i replaced my 20gb hdd of ipod 4g with a 2gb cf, i wasn't able to restore my ipod through itunes because i didn't have proper external charger. so i just simply copied the first 2gb of my ipod hdd's image to the cf and i've been able to run my ipod. but the problem is, windows doesn't recognize the drive, says "you should format this drive before use".

so,
both a trick to restore my ipod 4g and an disk image of a cf modded ipod 4g are will be appreciated. first 100000 sectors(~51mb) are fine for image since only this part contains the important software and partitioning matters.

if you ask why did i use a 2gb cf, it's temporary.

thanks in advance!

EDIT: i was trying to resolve this problem for about 4 days but i just found a solution myself just after posting this thread. this is also a good way to bypass external charger requirement after restoring an ipod 4g. since i have the working image of 20gb hdd, i just took the firmware part from the image, which is close to the beginning of disk, and i overwritten it to my ipods firmware which is at the state of "plug in external charger". it just works, partition recognized fine, and since there is only one current firmware for ipod 4g, no flash rom update is required so it's safe to bypass that stage. IT ACTUALLY IS SAFER than regular itunes restore since you're bypassing flash rom update stage. no risk of ipod being permanently broken.

i have no idea if anyone needs such a thing, so i didn't prepare a proper tutorial. if some one needs it, i can tell.

Last edited by gezz; 11-18-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Topic: ipod 4g 2gb cf mod disk image needed

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.