Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 80 GB - Music syncs from Winamp, doesn't show in Ipod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Angry 80 GB - Music syncs from Winamp, doesn't show in Ipod

Bought in excellent condition on Ebay. Seller had uploaded over 8000 songs on it before he sent it to me. The Ipod is in beautiful condition.

When I first plugged into my PC (Windows 7) it wouldn't recognize it and I ended up having to wipe the Ipod by doing a reset for it to be recognized by my PC. So, the Ipod was wiped of his downloads.

I DO NOT USE I-TUNES, never have, never will......it is not on my PC at all.

I went to sync my Ipod through my Winamp media player, where I have about 2000 songs of my own (my own CD collection, not purchased through Itunes) and it synced fine. I did NOT unplug the Ipod early, I'm very careful about that. No music showed up in the Ipod, nothing. But when I plugged into my PC and opened it up through My Computer, it was showing every single song I had synced to it. I restored/reset the Ipod TWICE just to wipe it clean again and start over, but same thing...Ipod shows nothing on it, but it definately has my songs I synced through Winamp when plugged into my PC (it shows up in I drive as an Ipod). I have the most recent version of Winamp and also have downloaded the mpod plug-in. Winamp not only recognizes my Ipod, but it showed that the sync was successful and it showed the songs my Ipod had in it as well!

I then tried to download Sharepod and go that route. When I plugged in my Ipod, Sharepod recognized the Ipod and also every single song and picture I had synced through Winamp to the Ipod was showing up in the playlist in Sharepod!!! So everything is in the Ipod, but it shows NOTHING when unplugged. There HAS to be a way for this to be corrected. I do not use Itunes, nor will I. There should be no reason that ITunes has to be used in order for the Ipod to work!!! If it has songs on it that were NOT bought through Itunes, not to mention my pictures, then how do I get them to show up???? I contacted the seller about this, and he did respond that he had used Itunes to download all the 8000 songs on it, and didn't know what else to tell me. The Ipod is in immaculate condition, not even a scratch on it. Click wheel, everything works great.

There has to be a solution to this, as I'm sure I'm not the first person to use an Ipod without using Itunes as their media manager, or what about people who have thousands of CDs they want to put on an Ipod, they shouldn't have to use Itunes either to do that!!!!! This must be something having to do with the Ipod itself and not my Winamp or my songs, etc.

The Ipod showed 8000 songs on it when it was shipped to me by the Ebay seller and when I got the Ipod, it was fully charged and I did put on my headphones to check to see if the songs were playing right, and sure enough, the songs were playing fine, showed the album art, everything!

Any help appreciated. I am not a computer expert, but do understand how to follow instructions if given.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM

How dare Apple make it easy to use their software along with their products so that they are one inclusive platform! People shouldn't have to use Apple's software with Apple's hardware.

Seriously though, it would be a 30 second solution to your problem as obviously something is wrong with Winamp syncing the iPod. You could try restoring the iPod through Sharepod and re-syncing it. When an iPod is properly synced, you will not see the songs through Windows Explorer (i.e. My Computer). The songs will be in a bunch of different folders (F01, F02, F03, etc.), be hidden, and have completely random file names (ABCD.mp3, AWRT.mp3, etc.). So, if you can easily find your music files, Winamp did not sync them correctly.

You will have to try something else and, if none of that works, throw your iPod in the garbage since you refuse to use iTunes (despite it being the easiest solution to this problem).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

Music syncs from Winamp, doesn't show in Ipod

I've got to agree with abbagirl. I'm an old fart, been around computers since the late seventies. I've programmed, designed hardware, and have been an Apple developer. kornchild2002 is wrong about Winamp having a problem synching files with the iPod. I have a Nano and the synching went just fine. There are hidden folders named F01 etc, with random file names.

Let me make this clear. The Nano knows there are files present. It knows they are music files. It does not recognize these files because the programmer has chosen not to recognize them. Therefore it is Apple policy to not recognize music files uploaded to the player except for files which have a specific encoding associated with them provided by iTunes. This locks the player to iTunes and therefore iTunes must be used to use the player.

On my PC with 64 bit Win Pro 7, iTunes does not work. It permits management of the Nano but it cannot find music on my computer. It also doesn't indicate an error condition but sits there merrily spinning it's wheels giving me the only other option of buying music from Apple.

kornchild2002, you recommend we throw the iPods in the garbage. I think you're right. If iTunes won't work on a PC and there's no other way to use the iPod we should at least have the satisfaction of squishing it under our heels, don't you agree?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Power Lounger

Seriously...I've also been programming computers since the late 70s and cannot imagine what folks have against iTunes; an easy to use, fine PC music management system.

If I couldn't get iTunes to work on my 64-bit Win 7 system, I think I would first solve that problem.

You can moan & complain, but if you are really, really dead-set against using iTunes, why in the world would you purchase an iPod? It's not the only (and probably not the best) MP3 player around.

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Let's make things perfectly clear: the issue is obviously with Winamp. Why would I point to it being an iPod problem when I know two people (with different iPods no less) are using Winamp for syncing and its not working? The issue is not with the encoding of the songs or any other such nonsense. It has to do with how the syncing program (iTunes, Winamp, whatever) is communicating with the iPod. You can copy files to an iPod all you want, it won't do any good if the firmware isn't properly "informed" of the location of said files and what they are. How else is an iPod to know what media it has on it? These are not complex computers with GHz of power and GB's of RAM at their disposal for making directories and associating them file locations.

iPods have ALWAYS been touted for their ability to easily integrate with iTunes. This has been an advertising aspect used by Apple and a feature that they heavily show off. I'm not sure why people are confused when they try to use other syncing software when iPods have always, always, always been about their integration with iTunes. Don't like it? Don't buy an iPod! It really is that simple. There are other programs you can use to sync an iPod but it appears that Winamp is not doing it correctly with two different users owning two different iPods. That is a clear sign that Winamp is the culprit and the most obvious (and easiest) solution is to ditch Winamp and use iTunes. Despite what some may believe, iTunes does actually work under Windows. I have been using iTunes on Windows since 2003 when it was first launched for that OS. I use it everyday at work on my Win 7 64-bit desktop and have used it for a solid three years on my Acer Win 7 64-bit nettop. I'm more inclined to believe this is operator error out of stubbornness where someone is throwing their hands up in the air and giving up instead of trying to find the root of the issue and fixing it. Adding media to iTunes is really easy and you have a few options whether you want to drag-and-drop files or use the Add to Library... feature.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hey Cold Irons. You made a few assumptions that simply aren't true. I never bought the Nano. It was given to me as a Christmas present by my son's girlfriend. She's a real sweetheart and for that reason I've put a lot more time into trying to get iTunes working than it deserves.

Really dead set against iTunes? Not really. I've used iTunes many times. What I haven't liked in the past about it is it's almost viral character in protecting QuickTime from being removed. What I don't like about it now is that Apple has not worked out the bugs in 64 bit Win 7 installs.

kornchild2002, I'm happy for you that iTunes works for you, but it sucks to be me... and the many others who have 64 bit Win 7 where it doesn't work. Google it and see if I'm not right.

Moan and complain... ha ha! Trolling or did you seriously think that? It's not my job to get iTunes working on my 64 bit Win 7 system. When a customer buys a product that says it will work on their system, then it had better work. At least according to most consumer protection laws. Or is Apple somehow above the law? Maybe they should put more money into employing programmers and testers? Or maybe they shouldn't make claims they have't backed up?

kornchild2002, I just disagree with you. You say it's up to the synching program to inform the iPod. I say it's the other way around. The overhead to read files from a directory and to discover or discard song associations is minimal. It has nothing to do with processing power. In fact it can be done just once for each upload and later won't affect player operation.

You argue I should use iTunes? I said I did try to use iTunes and it didn't work. I did my part... Why not ask Apple to do it's part and fix its software?

Operator error?? Again, why the assumption?? Because it works best to justify your argument and not the truth that iTunes does not work reliably on 64 bit Win 7 installs?? I'm sure iTunes is really easy to use once it gets past its initial discovery mode... which it doesn't. Again you made an assumption that isn't true.

I'm not attacking iTunes or Apple, or the Nano. Why the personal attacks in return? These are just simple truths. Again Google it and you'll find people with similar problems. Is it because I said I'd like to have the satisfaction of grinding it under my heel? It already cost me hundreds of dollars in equivalent work time that was wasted in an effort to make my son's girlfriend happy -- that she gave me a present I could enjoy. So far I've lost on both fronts.

Yeah, I think the Nano deserves to be under my heel for that. I think a lot of other frustrated iPod owners would agree with me. And kornchild2002, you're the one who said to throw the iPod in the garbage.

Any apologies for the personal attacks? Or at least a retraction on your wrong assumptions? Or am I not a person worth some respect?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok. So I've put more time into this. I now have iTunes working on 64 bit Win 7 pro and the Nano is now showing the songs I uploaded with Winamp.

I found a posting in another forum about Bonjour causing issues with the install, so I removed everything Apple on my computer through the control panel and erased any remaining evidence of Apple software in regedit. Then I rebooted and reinstalled iTunes with the same 64 bit installer I used previously.

The iTunes installer chose the Progran Files(x86) folder to install to by default (something I hadn't noticed earlier) and I corrected it to the Program Files folder. For anyone who doesn't know, the Program files folder in Win 7 (etc) contains the 64 bit program files.

The install went smoothly after this and this time when iTunes started and I checked for music files on my computer it found some of them. Using the menu bar I easily found my other music folders. Now iTunes works fine.

When I connected my Nano and checked for music on it I found the files uploaded by Winamp. When I tried playing these files they played fine. The only difference between when the Nano wouldn't recognise the music files and when it did was having a working version of iTunes with the songs in its music library. Maybe this is a form of copyright protection in the Nano, since a music file in the iTunes library is deemed to be licensed. Just a supposition though.

So now I have a working Nano. The problem I had was either with the installer incorrectly choosing the 32 bit program folder for a 64 bit install, or the presence of likely a 32 bit version of Bonjour, or both, or none by virtue of a bit of prayer or magic

The upside is I can tell my son's girlfriend I'm enjoying her Christmas gift... and I don't have to lie. Now if I could just get my 4 hours back.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hmmm, still no retractions...

To summarize:
1. The Apple installer was indeed faulty on 64 bit Win 7 installs.
2. Winamp uploads did work after the Nano could communicate with the iTunes
library (autosync was turned off so that didn't happen).
3. There was no operator error with iTunes on my part.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Power Lounger

Well. Don't think I'll issue any retractions.....

As I said before, first thing to do would be to get iTunes working. Sounds like that was the right approach.

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 PM

And it was operator error by choosing the 32-bit version of iTunes instead of the 64-bit edition. Still, Winamp was clearly problematic as it wasn't syncing content to the iPod. I don't know how that isn't clear. There were other problems going on in the setup but Winamp was clearly one of them.

Topic: 80 GB - Music syncs from Winamp, doesn't show in Ipod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.