Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Songs not playing on device but will play in iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face Songs not playing on device but will play in iTunes

I am sorry to bother you but I think you can help me. I have read through these forums for an answer to my question and this forum comes the closest to answering my question. But not entirely.

I purchased a used iPod classic 6th Gen 80GB. I installed iTunes and synched my music converting any WMA files to MP3 files. When I play my iPod certain songs skip, they dont play at all, the iPod rifles through the ones it doesnt want to play til it gets to one that it does. Like a rapid skip. No, the iPod is not on shuffle.

I have thousands of songs and its difficult to tell which ones are skipping and which ones play fine. They all play fine in iTunes.

I dont know if its the converted files that are misbehaving, because like I said I have thousands of them. However I have reset the damn thing several times through iTunes, and have synched it again and again. Even tried converted the files into different Mp3 qualities (one at a time of course), and recently to AAC.

Some of my music was obtained through torrents and P2P sites (dont worry I've reformed) and I am wondering if the files themselves are wonky. iTunes plays them, and every other MP3 player I had played them, but not this one.

My question is, is it the file? Or the player?

I spent more than I should have on this piece of metal and I want it to work right.

Thanks for the help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM

It's definitely the songs. iTunes compatibility is not a direct indication of iPod compatibility. iTunes has many more resources as its disposal including your computer's processor (which is more powerful than any hardware in any iDevice out there), RAM, sound card, and built-in decoders. There have been hundreds of thousands of times when iTunes will playback a video or audio file that won't transfer over to an iPod. For example, iTunes (on your computer) can playback a 720p and 1080p video yet those videos will not transfer over to your iPod at all and they won't work with it.

Unfortunately it is pretty much impossible to narrow down what the problem is let alone fix it. Your best bet would be to re-obtain those problematic tracks and to actually find the ones giving you issues. That isn't the answer you want to hear but it is what you should do. Last year, I had 7 problematic tracks in my iTunes library. I knew I had 7 of them but I wasn't sure which ones they were. I had to hunt through tens of thousands of tracks just to find the 7 giving me issues. You can also look into subscribing to iTunes Match. It's $25 per year (yes, per year and not per month) and allows you to swap out every song in your iTunes library (legally) for (legal) DRM-free 256kbps AAC versions if they are matched to songs already in the iTunes Store. You can decide to stop subscribing after a year and still (legally) keep the songs you downloaded through the service. You might run into issues matching your P2P obtained content but it would be a way to unify your iTunes library instead of having it filled with problematic tracks and others that have been lossy trascoded from crappy WMA sources.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you so much! You really helped a lot. Do you happen to know why it would play on the Creative Zen and not iPod? Is it that Apple products are just that picky?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 AM

I would have no way of knowing without actually analyzing one of your problematic tracks. It could be a simple tagging issue (the tags aren't placed in the header of the track or something else along those lines), the songs themselves could be corrupted, a flawed encoder/encoder settings was used to make them, they don't fully fit mpeg-1 standards (if you are dealing with mp3 files), etc. Creative products, in general, are a lot less picky when it comes to being able to handle problematic material. Back in the day, I had a Creative Zen something or other that I used when working out instead of my 5G 60GB iPod. It has a color screen and worked with SDHC cards but I never upgraded it beyond the 8GB internal capacity. It worked with a bunch of Nero AAC files that iTunes would also playback but my iPod and Xbox 360 refused to recognize them. I could sync them to my iPod but it would skip over all of them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that iPods (or other iDevices) are picky but they do demand that media files fit within their own specifications. Deviation from the standards causes compatibility issues that other players and programs might be able to ignore.

Another option would is to analyze all of the tracks in foobar2000. It is a free Windows program and it might be able to patch your problematic tracks. You can analyze everything in your library and it should be able to point out which tracks are giving you issues and offer a fix (especially if it is as simple as moving the tag to the header of the track). However, it too may just blow over whatever is wrong with your files and not report anything.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Again, very very helpful information. Thank you so much.

Funny thing is I was hoping you would be the one to answer my question, I was going to PM you but thought it odd.

Thanks a bunch man!

Topic: Songs not playing on device but will play in iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.