Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Adding music from external hard drive to itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Adding music from external hard drive to itunes

I'm having trouble moving music from my external hard drive to my itunes library. A while ago my computer had a virus so I had to reinstall my operating system. When I downloaded itunes again, I began to put my music back into itunes. I can't remember if I used the add folder to itunes or add file to itunes option to move my music back. I do know that when I unplug my ext. hard drive and try to play a song a window pops up and tells me that it can't find the file and gives me an option to locate it, but never finds it. What's the best way to fix this problem?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Reclined Lounger

itunes reads the music files directly from wherever it in on your computer system. So if you have an external hardrive , say drive F, then a folder called Music, then whne you click on your music file in itunes it immediatly follows the path F/music/yoursong.mp3.

If you unplug your external Drive F then naturally itunes has a problem. You either have to keep your external drive plugged in or move your music folder to a more permanent location and reload your library.
Connect your external harddrive and add folder ijn itunes and navigate to your external drive.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Reclined Lounger

double post

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gransport3800 View Post
I'm having trouble moving music from my external hard drive to my itunes library. A while ago my computer had a virus so I had to reinstall my operating system. When I downloaded itunes again, I began to put my music back into itunes. I can't remember if I used the add folder to itunes or add file to itunes option to move my music back. I do know that when I unplug my ext. hard drive and try to play a song a window pops up and tells me that it can't find the file and gives me an option to locate it, but never finds it. What's the best way to fix this problem?

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Solve "can't add music to iTunes" Problem?

You will find a easy way to successfully import and transfer music to iTunes (iTunes 11 included)

Topic: Adding music from external hard drive to itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.