Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: [Important] How do you clean the input (headphone jack) of a IPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question [Important] How do you clean the input (headphone jack) of a IPod?

I take my Ipod Classic everywhere I go, and to the gym. I feel like I need to clean the input for maintenance just in case any protein powder, dust or dirt got in. How do I got about doing this without damaging or effecting anything, especially the sound, and the singnal. I called Apple support, and didn't get much out of them, plus there website does not talk about cleaning audio jack.

They told me

DO NOT
-use compressed air, or use any form of liquid to clean the inside

The person used compressed air to clean his headphone jack and ended up breaking it, They told me to plug-in the headphones, screw it around for a bit, and then blow into it. Would that really clean out any potential protein powder, dust or dirt? How do you clean the input of a IPod Classic with out breaking, damageing anything?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM

Well, Apple's website isn't going to contain that kind of information as I highly doubt many people worry about that. They aren't going to put that info on their site if one out of every 34579834795879345769 people actually ask that question

I actually wouldn't use a 3.5mm male headphone plug, screw it around, and then blow into the iPod's headphone port (I really didn't mean for that to sound like a cheap adult movie). If anything, that is going to scrape any gunk, dirt, dust, powder, etc. up against the metal contacts on the inside and you are going to put them deeming into the iPod by blowing into the port. If you are going to do that, you might as well just use compressed air. I actually haven't heard of compressed air, coming from a can and not a powerful air compressor, ruining electronics. I use a can of compressed air about once every 2 weeks on my iPad 3, iPod classic, Droid X, and MacBook Air. I used a can of compressed air on every iPod, notebook, iPad, and phone I have ever owned without seeing problems. I've used various notebooks since 2002, had my iPads for about a year before selling them (starting in 2010), and I generally keep phones about 2 years (my Droid X is approaching that).

Again, that is compressed air from a can held upright and not a powerful air compressor. You can also use a fine metal rod to carefully clean out the port. Hold your iPod upside down, take the metal rod (a thin, straightened paperclip should work), and very carefully scrape the inside of the headphone port sides. Excess gunk should fall out of the port or stick onto the paperclip.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
Well, Apple's website isn't going to contain that kind of information as I highly doubt many people worry about that. They aren't going to put that info on their site if one out of every 34579834795879345769 people actually ask that question

I actually wouldn't use a 3.5mm male headphone plug, screw it around, and then blow into the iPod's headphone port (I really didn't mean for that to sound like a cheap adult movie). If anything, that is going to scrape any gunk, dirt, dust, powder, etc. up against the metal contacts on the inside and you are going to put them deeming into the iPod by blowing into the port. If you are going to do that, you might as well just use compressed air. I actually haven't heard of compressed air, coming from a can and not a powerful air compressor, ruining electronics. I use a can of compressed air about once every 2 weeks on my iPad 3, iPod classic, Droid X, and MacBook Air. I used a can of compressed air on every iPod, notebook, iPad, and phone I have ever owned without seeing problems. I've used various notebooks since 2002, had my iPads for about a year before selling them (starting in 2010), and I generally keep phones about 2 years (my Droid X is approaching that).

Again, that is compressed air from a can held upright and not a powerful air compressor. You can also use a fine metal rod to carefully clean out the port. Hold your iPod upside down, take the metal rod (a thin, straightened paperclip should work), and very carefully scrape the inside of the headphone port sides. Excess gunk should fall out of the port or stick onto the paperclip.
In all honestly you seem more creditable then the guy I was talking to at Apple correct me if i'm wrong

Is this a good Idea?

Upright compressed air can with out that little sraw, and holding IPod Classic horizontally, while blowing air into the input jack with about shoulder length distance safe? the reason why I saw shoulder length is because my bottle says

"ULTRA DUSTER" with a some text under saying "Industrial Strength"
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM

The straw is actually important with cans of compressed air. That helps direct airflow to a more unified path instead of just blowing out in a large v-shape and dissipating a few ft out. I'm not really sure about distance from the iPod's headphone port. I always just put the straw right up to the headphone port with the cans I use. I can't imagine there being that much of a difference between the various cans out there.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Reclined Lounger

The compressed air trick will work if the faulty earjack is a result of lint etc. just google "keyboard cleaner +compressed air"
The problem is that this is rarely the fault. The fault is usually caused by the pins inside the jack loosing their spring and failing to keep contact on the earjack.

Your best bet is to get a new earjack flex, relatively cheap and fairly simple to install. I can usually replace them in about 10 mins.

1st) check the jack with a good set of gold plated ear plugs. the contact will be better and you may be back in business.

2nd) try the compressed air can trick but unlikely to succeed.

3rd) use a little piece of cloth wrapped on the end of a toothpick to lightly poke insuide the jack and clean the contacts.

4th) as above but first dip the cloth in a dip of isopropyl alcohol or turpentine first

5th) Replace the jack flex , which will also mean changing the power button as well as described here:
Installing iPod Classic Headphone Jack & Hold Switch - iFixit

good luck

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members

Topic: [Important] How do you clean the input (headphone jack) of a IPod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.