Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Classic Won't Charge

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Junior Lounger

iPod Classic Won't Charge

Summary:

iPod Classic bought October 11, 2008. It won't charge now. Do I need to send/take it somewhere for a new battery?

If this has been answered elsewhere, please feel free to direct me there.

Background information:

Battery became low several days ago, so I hooked it up to the USB cord to charge. (Not original Apple cord; threw that one away by mistake on March 20, 2010; went to Radio Shack to get new one; missed former Saturday closing time of 8:00 p.m. by 5 minutes; went to Target; had to buy "off brand", but it had worked well for me up until now; ironically, my neighborhood Radio Shack now closes at 9:00 p.m. on Saturdays, and I found out too late that the Radio Shack across the street from Target was open until 9:00 on Saturdays back then.)

iPod still wasn't charged in time period in which it usually charges. I was getting a message something like, "Low battery, please charge."

I thought maybe it was that off-brand charger, so I decided to try my car charger, which I think is either an Apple brand or made expressly for iPod. Still the same result. This was the first time in several months that I had tried my iPod with its car charger. Since then, though, using different cords made for them, I had successfully charged my Nook eBook reader and a smartphone (not an iPhone).

Could my iPod USB cord and car charger both have gone defective at once? Or is either the battery or the iPod dead?

I seem to recall learning when I bought the iPod that the battery will eventually die, and I can't replace it myself. If it is indeed dead now, how do I get the replacement? No Apple store in the untrendy suburb where I live. I think there may be ones in the trendier suburbs of King of Prussia and Cherry Hill. Or do I have to send it somewhere. I am Postal/shipping-challenged. If something can't be sent in a small envelope with a 1st class postage stamp, I am totally at a loss as to how to send it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

[this space intentionally left blank to not detract from my actual message]

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:27 AM

you can try replacing the battery yourself at places like iFixit or OWC - prices are pretty reasonable, or you can send it to them to replace and return.

If you've tried eliminating the variables like usb cables or power sources and your iPod still doesn't charge then chances are that the battery has reached its end of life - almost 4 years, if it gets used often is pretty good going, though my 3rd Gen iPod from 2003 still works and holds a charge, though not for very long.

Hope that helps in getting your iPod back on its feet!!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
you can try replacing the battery yourself at places like iFixit or OWC - prices are pretty reasonable, or you can send it to them to replace and return.

If you've tried eliminating the variables like usb cables or power sources and your iPod still doesn't charge then chances are that the battery has reached its end of life - almost 4 years, if it gets used often is pretty good going, though my 3rd Gen iPod from 2003 still works and holds a charge, though not for very long.

Hope that helps in getting your iPod back on its feet!!
Thanks for answering my message! I just want to clarify a couple of things:

Do I send away for the battery and put it in myself? I thought only Apple could put the battery in. If I'm going to send it away, I'd prefer to stick with Apple, even if it's more expensive.

Is there a brick-and-mortar source for them, where I can pick them up, say, tomorrow and put them in myself, if putting them in myself is permitted/possible?

Anyone, not just yinyang, please feel free to reply to me.

And thanks again for taking the time to answer my message!

[this space intentionally left blank to not detract from my actual message]
Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslitman View Post
Do I send away for the battery and put it in myself? I thought only Apple could put the battery in. If I'm going to send it away, I'd prefer to stick with Apple, even if it's more expensive.
As yinyang wrote, you can either replace the battery yourself or send it in. Click on either of the links in his post and they'll explain everything.

If you use one of those services they'll either replace the battery or send you the battery to do it yourself. If you send it to Apple they'll send you a refurb unit, so the hard drive will be empty. You'll have to transfer all your data back to the iPod.

Quote:
Is there a brick-and-mortar source for them, where I can pick them up, say, tomorrow and put them in myself, if putting them in myself is permitted/possible?
An Apple Store will send you on your way with a refurb, but again, because it's a different unit it will be empty.

Pod Almighty: Silver 120GB iPod Classic
Deer Park: 64GB iPod touch 3rd generation
iCaramba: 64GB 4G LTE iPad 3rd generation
Shure E4c ear buds
Music ripped with Exact Audio Copy, encoded with LAME at 192 VBR

Topic: iPod Classic Won't Charge

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.