Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Has someone in the US got an 80GB iPod Classic?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

Has someone in the US got an 80GB iPod Classic?

Hi there,

Basically, to put a long story short, I am looking to get past the stupid EU volume limit on my 80GB iPod Classic. Now, the problem is that the particular file that I need to edit is encrypted and still no one has been able to get it sorted. So, I think I have found the file and I was wondering if anyone outside the EU who has an iPod classic which contains non volume limited software (you can tell pretty simply by knowing if your iPod is painfully quiet or not!) could please just copy and upload the particular file so that I can basically just swap the files. Also, could people just check that this would work and won't kill my iPod...that could be bad! The file I am swapping is 'iPod Control/Devices' It is a particular file in there, but am really looking for the whole file! Failing that, does anyone know where to download a US version of the firmware? I don't how much the software changes between the iPod classic models but my serial number ends in Y5N.

I am sure the above sounds incredibly confusing, if you are confused about anything, please let me know and I will try to clarify it!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Music Guy

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Please can someone who has bought an iPod outside the EU and has a PC do the following for me please! I can't tell you how much it would help, and if it works, I will spread it so that everyone can be rid of the EU volume limiting lark.

1. I don't know whether the particular iPod matters, mine is an 80GB iPod Classic 6Gen, I'd say you'd need to be the same, at least for a start.
2. Plug it in to your pc (rather this than mac).
3. Go to control panel > Appearance & Personalization > Folder Options > View (one of the tabs at the top) > Select the box for Show hidden files, folders and drives > Click OK.
4. Go to 'My Computer' > Your iPod > Ipod_Control
5. Could you please copy the file for device onto your hard drive on your computer.
6. Find the file on your hard drive, right click it and click 'take ownership' then go to the properties of the file and under the general tab, in attributes, unselect the box for 'hidden' and 'read only'.
7. Click OK and make sure you apply it to all files within the folder.
You can then go back into control panel and untick the box for hiding the folders. The above instructions were for windows 7, other windows version won't be too different! If you are able to do this, please can you please post on this thread and I will give you my email address so you could send it to me or could you please upload it.

Please can you help us in the battle against this stupid limiter and the French's inability to turn down their music.

Any help would be much appreciated by both me and other EU iPod owners.

Music Guy
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Would it work if it's from a 120GB Classic? I have one and would do that for you if it will.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

I don't know, so let's give it a try ! Yes please, if you could do that, it would be wonderful, it may not work but I need to try alternatives! Thank you very much for replying, when you have got the file, can you please send me a pm and the way you would like to send it to me (I guess either via a download site or I am willing to give you my email). Anyway, looking forward to hearing from
you.

Music Guy
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

I've got an 80GB classic. PM me your email address and I'll send you what you're looking for.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hi tokes,

I sent you a pm a few days ago old chap. Did you pick it up?

Music Guy
Old 05-22-2012, 12:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

I will spread it so that everyone can be rid of the EU volume limiting lark.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

Did this cunning plan actually work? If so, perhaps some kind soul could upload the file to a file-share site and spread the joy?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:31 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssilent View Post
Did this cunning plan actually work? If so, perhaps some kind soul could upload the file to a file-share site and spread the joy?
Sadly no one has yet replied to me with the file. I'm still looking for this file if anyone can help!

All the best!

Music Guy
Old 09-23-2012, 02:39 PM

There is no way to get around the EU volume cap on the iPod classic line of iPods. Their firmware still hasn't been fully hacked (I think most groups gave up in support of iOS jailbreaking) and you cannot install the firmware from a U.S. iPod classic onto a European model.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: Has someone in the US got an 80GB iPod Classic?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.