Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: RESTORING does NOT work? (it asks to restore again right after?) D:

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face RESTORING does NOT work? (it asks to restore again right after?) D:

so my ipod was corrupted a while ago, and i tried restoring it, but it just immediately says "Itunes has detected an Ipod in recovery mode. You must restore this Ipod before it can be used with Itunes." it seemed to restore, going and even finishing the process too but then right after itunes detected the ipod again and gave the same message saying it had to be restored.

i have tried switching the letter drive and restarting my computer..but that didn't seem to work D:

helpp~

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 AM

Have you tried scanning the iPod's hard drive for any bad sectors? Normally an iPod would automatically switch back to normal after it has been restored. However, if the restoration process fails (or becomes corrupt due to bad sectors on the HDD), the iPod will be in this restoration loop and never get out. If you are on Windows, search the internet for some 3rd party disk utility tools. I can't give you any recommendations as I no longer use Windows as my primary OS (so I don't use it for that). The disk utility that is built into Windows is pretty bad and not that in-depth. Scan the HDD and see if it can be repaired. If not, you will have to buy a new HDD and install it (or have someone else install it).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

To find out some info about the iPods hard drive you can go into diagnostic mode on the iPod and run a scan on the hard drive. Directions can be found here.

Once you are on the diagnostic screen select "Manual Mode" > IO > HardDrive > HD SMART Data.

This will tell you if you have bad sectors etc. it still may be a good idea to do what Kornchild is saying to do as well.

If you find your iPod hard drive is bad it is probably going to be an expensive part/repair. You can always sell your iPod to Recycled Device, even if it is broken!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Buying a new hard drive is actually inexpensive compared to the amount it would take to buy a new iPod and is worth far more than selling it for $50 to a website. Depending on the model, a replacement HDD can be purchased for anywhere between $30-$100. That is less than half the cost of buying a new iPod classic and even falls under the price Apple charges for the 8GB iPod nano even when any money earned from it being sold is factored in.

The iPod's firmware is a bit more in-depth than the Windows disk utility for scanning its hard drive but a third party utility would not only be able to find bad sectors but attempt to repair them. Additionally, from my experience, these programs (particularly Disk Utility for OS X) offer additional options do a more thorough job.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb Additional information that might be helpful :/

some more things i should have said..i had used this ipod before with a DIFFERENT laptop...and then i had to reblast my computer so my itunes library disappeared completely ..and now i am trying to restore it on a different laptop entirely so everything from libraries, devices, etc is different :/ and i don't know if this is relevant to my problem or not..but i now use multiple libraries on itunes for all the other devices i have so i was thinking maybe it has to do with my itunes being under a different username or something? :/
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM

No, that has nothing to do with it. Your problem is with the iPod in that there is something wrong with it. It has nothing to do with switching computers or anything like that. Like I said, scan the hard drive to see if there are any problems. In all likeliness, you will have to replace the hard drive if you want to keep using that iPod.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

Have you tried putting your iPod in dfu mode then plugging it in to iTunes

Topic: RESTORING does NOT work? (it asks to restore again right after?) D:

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.