DVD Backup without Renaming Files?? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: DVD Backup without Renaming Files??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-01-2004, 11:49 AM

Junior Lounger

Question DVD Backup without Renaming Files??

How can I backup my MP3 collection to CD/DVD without renaming all of my files (using Easy CD Creator)?

Ever since I started listening to MP3's I've stuck to a fairly lengthy naming convention:

<Artist> - <Album> - <Track> - <Title>

These in turn are organized into directories as follows:

My Music\MP3's\<Artist>\<Album>\

I know - probably overkill, but while the filenames are long, I can look at a file and know everything about it without using a database/jukebox, etc.

I use iTunes but keep my music organized as described above in a non-iTunes music folder. I have the "Keep iTunes Music Folder" checked, so that when I rip CDs, there is some organization before I move them to my directories. And obviously I have the "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder" option unchecked.

So here's my problem. I just got a DVD burner and want to backup my library to a couple of DVDs. However, whenever I used Easy CD Creator (haven't tried it for DVDs yet, but have for CDs and I'd imagine it's the same), it won't allow long file names and prompts me to re-name the files, which is obviously a major PITA.

Is there any way to get around this? Is there another program that doesn't have these limitation (keep in mind, I like to limit the number of programs that perform similar functions on my PC to a minimum).

If not, I am toying with the idea of renaming all of my files so the names are shorter (maybe just <Track> - <Title> format) or potentially just biting the bullet and letting iTunes organize everything (I know everyone is going to suggest that I do this).

The reason I am reluctant to let iTunes organize my files is b/c I publish my MP3's to my Tivo and like knowing exactly where everything is.

Any info on the best approach here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 04-01-2004, 04:51 PM

Dream Digital

I believe its the CD/DVD file standard that limits how many characters you can have. In the options for Nero Burning Rom at least, they allow you to specify `Joilet` which allows up to 64 characters max.

There are a couple of back-up options for you:

1. Archive your music collection and burn the archive file to dvd. Make sure to split the archives so they fit on a dvd. Zip is the most popular archive format but Rar can achieve better compression.

2. Since you have a folder structure that includes the artist and album info already, just use track # and song title as your song filename. When u back-up ur music, keep the same folder structure on the dvd.

3. Buy another hard-drive, they are dirt cheap these days, and back-up to that drive. Then there is no need to change the filename at all!

think different, change expectations, dream digital -- Me
a boy's will is the wind's will, and the thoughts of youth are long long thoughts -- Longfellow

Topic: DVD Backup without Renaming Files??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.