Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Cllassic 160GB Formatted & Corrupted

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Cllassic 160GB Formatted & Corrupted

Hi there:
When I was trying to synchronize my iPod classic (160 GB; which I have been using only for a few months) with a new playlist on my PC (Windows 7 – 64 bit), the iTunes (64 bit) froze and when I disconnected and reconnected the device, I was asked to reformat it which I did (using right-click on the device icon). Afterward however, iTunes refuses to recognize my iPod and the information on the summary page is limited to the minimum (No iPod name, capacity unavailable, etc.) and I get the message: “"iTunes detects an iPod that seems to be corrupted"
The restore button on the iTunes doesn’t work and so far, I have used many steps such as the 5Rs and reinstalled the latest update of iTunes (64 bit for Windows 7) and using the iPod troubleshooting assistant, I have used the below steps which didn’t help at all.
- Restart the iPod Service
- Restart the Apple Mobile Device Service
- Empty your Temp directory and restart
- Verify that the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is installed
- Change your iPod's drive letter
- Remove and reinstall iTunes
- Disable conflicting System Services and Startup Items
- Update, Reconfigure, Disable, or Remove Security Software
- Deleting damaged or incorrect registry keys
Although the currently empty device seems normal and functions well, it seems that during the formatting, I have erased a key element that was necessary for the device to be seen and recognized by iTunes. If that is the case, can I restore my iPod to the factory setting aside from using the iTunes restore button? With many thanks in advance for your help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:47 AM

The issue is that you reformatted the hard drive using Windows Explorer (ie right-clicking on it in My Computer and left-clicking on Format). Windows XP SP3, Vista, and 7 cannot format hard drives (and other forms of external media) larger than 32GB using the FAT32 file system so they normally default to either NTFS or exFAT. The iPod classic needs to be formatted using FAT32, there is no way around that. Reformatting the hard drive again using the FAT32 file system should fix everything. Unfortunately this can only be done using third party programs under Windows 7 for the reason I stated above.

I have had luck with a program called fat32formatter. It is free and I haven't come across any issues under either a 32-bit build or 64-bit build of Windows 7. If all else fails, you can take your iPod into an Apple Store (if you have one near you) so they can reformat and restore it. Just remember that the iPod needs to use the FAT32 file system for its internal hard drive when working with Windows.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you kindly kornchild2002 for your inputs. After a quick Google search, I realized that there are a few free fat32formatter softwares available. Therefore, I would appreciate it if you could suggest a site where I could download the fat32formatter that you have used before.

In addition, I came across an article on "online tech tips (How to format external hard drive to FAT32 in Windows - Sep. 20, 2008)" which suggests using a DOS command for FAT32 formatting for an example of 1TB external hardware, as follows:

--
Start, then Run and typing in CMD.

Now type in the following command at the prompt:
format /FS:FAT32 X:

Replace the letter X with the letter of your external hard drive in Windows.

Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32!

--
Do you think that would also work for my iPod Classic?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Go ahead and try it. I thought that Microsoft closed that command prompt loophole a while ago but I could be wrong (the article is 3 years old now and Vist has already gone through two service packs and Win 7 has received its first one). This is the website for the true fat32formatter program. There are two versions you can download: standard and debug. Try using the standard version first and, if it gives you issues, download the debug version and use it.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 05-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks again. The DOS command didn't seem to work (or was not fast enough for my patience) and the Fat32formatter that you mentioned collapsed a few times and my antivirus detected a Trojan in the debug version so I didn't use them. Instead, I found another free formatter called guiformat which quickly did the job.

However, instead of "iTunes detects an iPod that seems to be corrupted" massage, now I get "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore the iPod before it can be used with iTunes". I clicked the restore button on the iTunes but it fails to establish an internet connection. I even put my device in disk mode (by pushing the center and play/pause buttons simultaneously, after resetting it) which had no effect.

So I wonder how can I restore my iPod to the factory setting. Unfortunately, there is no Apple Store in my area.

Last edited by Borz319; 05-08-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 PM

You need to be connected to the internet so that iTunes can download your iPod's firmware for restoring your iPod. That is why you are getting that error. Putting your iPod in disc mode won't do anything as the issue isn't with your iPod now but rather with your computer's inability to contact Apple's servers to download your iPod's firmware. Make sure your computer is online and that your Windows firewall isn't blocking iTunes from accessing the internet.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

My internet connection is fine. However, every time I click the restore button on iTunes, I get this message: "The iPod software update server could not be contacted", even when my Firewall is disabled.

I also set the LAN Settings to automatically detect settings which had no effect with or without the firewall.

Interestingly, on iTunes when I click on Store>Home, I get this message:
"We could not complete your itunes store request. You do not have permission to access the requested resource". This gives me hope that the problem is the connection.

I am still working on it...

Last edited by Borz319; 05-08-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

UPDATE: For those who might have a similar problem, I report that I was finally able to RESTORE my iPod, using somebody else's computer, iTunes and internet connection and now everything is fine and back to normal. I thank kornchild2002 for his valuable tips that helped me a lot to figure out the problem.

Topic: iPod Cllassic 160GB Formatted & Corrupted

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.