Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Restoring iPod Classic Without iTunes (Solved!!!)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Restoring iPod Classic Without iTunes (Solved!!!)

I had a problem with my iPod 120GB Classic of showing no music, however when I connect it to my PC, the iPod shows up in Windows as being filled with files. The other problem was that iTunes would freeze up when my iPod was connected.

I tried manually resetting the ipod by pressing the menu/center button, also putting it in disk mode, yet iTunes still freezes up.

I checked many forums for reformatting the iPod without iTunes and even called Apple Support, yet no one seems to be able to find a solution.

SOULTION
My last be all and end all try was to try and reformat the iPod through Windows, by right-clicking the iPod drive and selecting format.

NOTE: I saved all my music off the iPod by showing hidden files, going into ipod_control folder and dragging the music folder and playlist on my PC. (I am not going into detail here, I assume everyone checking this out is computer savvy)

I didnt change any of the settings, I just clicked start with quick format selected and of course everything got deleted off, which is normal.

I removed the iPod, put the iPod into Disk Mode, by pressing the menu/center button until the apple logo appears and then quickly pressing the center/play buttons until you see a check mark with a Disk Mode message.

Then connected iPod to PC

Started iTunes, sure enough iTunes recognized the iPod, but gave a message that the iPod is corrupted and needs to be Restored with updated software.

Clicked restore in iTunes, takes a couple minutes to update and voila.

I then dragged the music files I saved on my PC, with the playlist back onto the iPod through Windows, not in iTunes and everything is back to normal.

Please reply with success stories.

On a last note. I tried absolutely everything I could to get my iPod to restore and reformat through iTunes but to no avail. This was my very last option before I could accept defeat that my iPod was out of commission!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Congrats! It is great to hear when an iPod problem is successfully resolved.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

re: Restoring iPod Classic Without iTunes (Solved!!!)

Very well done Kewlrunning!!!
I can't even begin to say how many times I've had issues with my apple gear (ipod & iphones), so searched forums and found only a plethora of others inflicted with the same issue but NOT found a solution....
This is a first.
Kudos & Thank you~
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks

Hey kewl thanks for the advice. I had to replace the system board and did not know what to do because it would not recognize. Thank god for google and your step by step
Old 07-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Excellent advice was on hours trying to sort, finally I have cheers.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Reclined Lounger

Your title is a bit misleading.
You actually DID restore through itunes. you just formatted through windows.

Shame as I would like a way to actually install ipod firmware without the use of itunes.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members
Old 06-10-2013, 02:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Talking I love you

I've been having this problem for years now!!! Each time I manage to semi-fix or do something or other but this was the first time I've found something that would work each time!!! I made an account just to tell you that you are the best ever and I friggen love you for this. <3 You've save me so much frustration and trial and error now!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Worked for Me ... finally!!!

After three days of trying to get the iPod back into iTunes, doing all sorts of dastardly deeds to my poor computer - services, registry, etc. etc., your method is the only one I found that actually worked for me. Thanks for the step-by-step methodology. It took about 2 hours to get the iPod totally restored. Thanks again - you are a life-saver!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Cool Worked for me too!

Had this problem with a friends old Ipod Nano (1st Generation I think), could not get iTunes to recognise it on any PC. I have been going back to it for months to find a solution and then I came across this thread. Just re-formatting the iPod via Windows Explorer was sufficient, I then fired up iTunes and voila!...there it was.

I never get involved in forums etc. but just had to set up an account to say thanks. Obviously I'll take the credit for it with my friend and deny all knowledge of this site!!

Topic: Restoring iPod Classic Without iTunes (Solved!!!)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.