All songs have disappeared on my iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

YoShi_8D

But i know they are there still, how do i get them back?

Also i cant download iTunes because i have linux :(

Sparkee

Patience, this is a message board not live chat. Sometimes it takes some time, days if not more than 2 hours, for the right person with the right answer to see your post.

This also the most asked question here although not for Linux but the same article applies. I don't think there is a lot of Linux users here, and it's been a long time since I've really dug deep into Linux. You may be better off posting to a Linux forum for your particular distro of Linux. Since there are many different distros it may be helpful to tell us which one you are using as well as if you are using GNOME, KDE or another desktop environment.

You can start by reading Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide. Regardless of if you can run iTunes it does not recover files of an iPod. Most of the software mentioned will not work with Linux although YamiPod should do it. If YamiPod can not do it or will not work on your distro of Linux the manual method of showing hidden files and folders should still work. The other issue you may run into is if Linux can read the iPods file structure which it should read Windows formatting but may not read a Mac formated iPod. Since a Mac's OS is based on Unix as well I'm sure it will read it as well.

In the future get yourself an external USB drive to store an additional copy of your files. You should have at least 2 copies and I would not count the iPod as a copy. It was my days of experimenting with setting up dual booting Windows/Linux computers that taught me the importance of a good back up. One false move and I was re-ripping a few hundred CD's as well as a few important documents being lost. I was lucky to not have a digital photo collection at the time since they would have been irreplaceable.

YoShi_8D

if i re-synced it using someone else PC would that sort it out?

Also im running Zorin OS

Sparkee

I should have mentioned the first step should be Resetting the iPod by holding the center and menu buttons till it restarts, it will probably not work but is the easiest least destructive step to try.

if i re-synced it using someone else PC would that sort it out?
No. If you Restore using someone else's machine it will erase all file off your iPod syncing the files in their library. But it may be easier to use the steps and programs outlined in the article to recover your music using a Windows machine. Be careful not to mess up someone else's library in the process. iPod syncing is more or less one way syncing from iTunes to the iPod. Only purchased content can easily be transfered back but that still requires a functioning iPod.

What it sounds like happened is your music may still be on the iPod. The data base files iTunes put on the iPod to help it keep track of the files is messed up. The only way to fix it is to Restore the iPod using iTunes and rebuild these data base files. Restore will erase the music files off the iPod so it needs to be recovered and added to the iTunes library first. Once restored iTunes will re-sync the music from it's library. This is one of the reasons why it is not recommended to consider the music files on an iPod as a part of your back up.

The media industries pressure Apple and other companies to make this process difficult to discourage piracy. Apple complies so they can keep selling their music through iTunes Store.