Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What's diff b/w 160GB 6th and 160GB 7th Generation iPod Classic?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Junior Lounger

Wink What's diff b/w 160GB 6th and 160GB 7th Generation iPod Classic?

What's diff b/w 160GB 6th and 160GB 7th Generation iPod Classic?

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy on ebay, and 7th Gen seems to come at a bit of a premium. iPod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia doesn't list a "seventh" generation. Trying to figure out what if any diffs there might be. This thread provides some data: http://forums.ilounge.com/ipod-class...b-classic.html ...but it compares a 120gb 6th Gen to a 160gb 7th Gen. Not apples to apples.

My biggest questions:

* Is 7th Gen thinner? (Hoping so.)
* Does 7th Gen have Genius-on-the-fly and 6th Gen does not? (important feature for me that I use on my nano/video all the time.)

Other thoughts, comments?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM

I don't think there is an official "7th generation" moniker for the Classic, maybe a "late 2009 edition" when Apple re-introduced a 160GB model.

As for the differences, the newer 160GB model is thinner (and more reliable) since it uses a single-platter hard disk rather than a double. The only other difference I can think of is Genius support on the newer model, but not the older one.

I would stay away from the original 160GB model due to the number of reliability issues with the hard drive (though mine has been OK thus far, but it stays at home on a nice cushy pad, connected to the stereo).
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Very helpful, thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
I don't think there is an official "7th generation" moniker for the Classic, maybe a "late 2009 edition" when Apple re-introduced a 160GB model.

As for the differences, the newer 160GB model is thinner (and more reliable) since it uses a single-platter hard disk rather than a double. The only other difference I can think of is Genius support on the newer model, but not the older one.

I would stay away from the original 160GB model due to the number of reliability issues with the hard drive (though mine has been OK thus far, but it stays at home on a nice cushy pad, connected to the stereo).
Yep, I love my "7th gen" iPod 160gb...it's been fantastic. If they ever make a 160gb iPod Touch, I'd be in heaven!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

How less reliable is it? i have a silicone case and use it almost every day for music, video, podcasts and photo's. Also huge fan of the video cable (a)

I bought mine from ebay for 144 euro's. Its in excellent condition.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouternet View Post
How less reliable is it? i have a silicone case and use it almost every day for music, video, podcasts and photo's. Also huge fan of the video cable (a)

I bought mine from ebay for 144 euro's. Its in excellent condition.
Same question, how unreliable is it? I just got mine for $150 as a replacement for a stolen 5 year old 5th Gen 30GB which was stolen. I'm only working PT so I couldn't afford the 7th Gen and couldn't live without an iPod in my car.

Right now its beautiful and a lot louder on the headphones than my old one but it will be living in the car - will there be issues? I don't use any of the fancy genius stuff since I had a 2005 iPod until last Thursday.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 AM

Power Lounger

Don't know about reliablity in general, but mine has been great/no problems. Reading on-line, I see reports of the older (~2007) 160Gb being less reliable; but I'm sure it varies. Mine goes on the ski slopes half-dozen times a year; rides the power boat (in a zip-lock) during the summer; goes to work with me every day; ...and still working pretty good. Mine has started to show signs of age, but has been very reliable.

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man

Topic: What's diff b/w 160GB 6th and 160GB 7th Generation iPod Classic?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.