Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Classic (6g) aluminum faceplate on iPod Video (5g)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Classic (6g) aluminum faceplate on iPod Video (5g)

What is the easiest way to go about this mod? Would I buy the 6g faceplate and a 6g midframe to avoid any dremeling? Would I also need to buy a 6g backplate? Thank you in advance for your help.

I know there is already a thread for this but i did not want to bump said thread.

Last edited by saulgood5; 03-30-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: ...

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Reclined Lounger

The back shell and internal framework are identical in the 5G and 6G models (as far as I can tell). So the new front should just snap on. You will probably need a new click wheel though because of the different thickness between the plastic and aluminum front face.

I did the reverse of this mod a while back. I put a new blsck plastic 5G face on my 160GB Classic. It snapped in place just fine, but the scroll whell was recessed and a little loose. After a couple months, I switched it back because of the scroll wheel issue. I think if you swap both the front and the scroll wheel, it should work fine.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

thanks... and do u know where i could find just the silver center button? i'm thinking of using the silver faceplate and silver button on my 5.5g with the red u2 click wheel... but i can't find just the center button anywhere...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

I want to do the same thing, please tell me how this turned out. I know the LCD is different on the 6th gen that is why I am going to use the one from my 5th gen. Will the 5th gen logic board and screen will fit the 6th metal frame (so the only 6th gen parts are the metal frame, front faceplate and maybe back faceplate if I can't reuse the 5th gen one)?

Thanks SO MUCH!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Pretty sure a 6th gen click wheel isn't going to work on a 5th gen mobo. So you'll either have to live with the wheel not fitting flush with the plate or just use a 5th gen front.

Topic: iPod Classic (6g) aluminum faceplate on iPod Video (5g)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.