Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What is the (approx) value of a 1st gen ipod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM

Junior Lounger

Question What is the (approx) value of a 1st gen ipod?

I have a 1st gen (10gb) ipod that I bought new for $500 back in April of 2002. I have not used it in years, but it still works fine (I even replaced the battery a few years ago and at last check it still gets 15-20 hours). The ipod itself is very good...a few scratches (from me prying the back off to replace the battery . I even have the original Jimi Hendrix box it came in...Apple's packaging has really gone downhill. haha.

so...does anyone know approximately what this might be worth?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:50 AM

Pro Lounger

Who knows maybe $10, I can not see anybody spending more that that.
You think just because it is first Generation that somehow makes it something somebody will want to collect?

Who knows? Many Apple fanboys in the world.
Put it on eBay and see if it sells.

I spent $25,000 on my 15 year old car it runs, has a few scratches but I still be lucky to get $100 for it.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 PM

Reclined Lounger

I collect iPods. I also buy old broken ones, fix them, and sell them. I can tell you that the first generation iPod IS worth a lot more than later ones - at least to the collectors who shop on eBay.

I just bout a working 2nd generation iPod on eBay for $10, but those usually go for more like $20-30. The "going rate" for a working first generation iPod on eBay seems to be around $60-70. Maybe a bit higher. Even broken ones go for $40-50. I've seen a few listed for $100 that keep getting relisted because they don't sell at that price. So $60-70 is what I think you can expect if you list it on eBay. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:12 PM

Junior Lounger

thanks guys. i got $100 for it.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM

The Best Of The Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by square View Post
I have a 1st gen (10gb) ipod that I bought new for $500 back in April of 2002. I have not used it in years, but it still works fine (I even replaced the battery a few years ago and at last check it still gets 15-20 hours). The ipod itself is very good...a few scratches (from me prying the back off to replace the battery . I even have the original Jimi Hendrix box it came in...Apple's packaging has really gone downhill. haha.

so...does anyone know approximately what this might be worth?
I sold mine for 75 bucks on craigslist. Of course this included some extras including the firewire cable, headphones, and charger.

Computers: HP G60T, Ibook Snow G3, HP Slimline.
Ipods: 4.1 2nd GEN MC Ipod Touch 8gb, 2nd gen 4gb nano (awaiting its new clickwheel.)

Topic: What is the (approx) value of a 1st gen ipod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.