Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Transfer iPod > iTunes; Have iTunes library itl & xml files backed up

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Freshman Lounger

Transfer iPod > iTunes; Have iTunes library itl & xml files backed up

I recently lost my iTunes library on my computer, but I have everything on my iPod. I also had my iTunes library .xml and .itl files backed up on my other computer, but only some of my music is backed up on that computer.

I use Windows XP.

How can I restore my iTunes library?

Also: I tried going to the music folder in the iPod in the "iPod control" folder, and adding those to iTunes, but while the mp3 files transferred their title/album/etc information over, m4a files did not.

Mainly though: If I add the "music" folder to iTunes (while the setting where it copies the files to your music folder on), and I then replace the iTunes library .xml and .itl files with the backed-up version of these, will this work?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 AM

Power Lounger

Read the iLounge article; it covers all the possibilities:
Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man

Topic: Transfer iPod > iTunes; Have iTunes library itl & xml files backed up

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.