Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Unable to restore or format iPod!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unable to restore or format iPod!

iPod Classic 80GB, Windows Vista 64bit

Every time I plug my iPod into my computer (Windows Vista 64bit), I am prompted with two messages:

1. Windows tells me that I must format the disk.
2. iTunes tells me that my iPod is in recovery mode and must be reformatted.

Whichever method I choose, both fail. With windows, I'll attempt to format the disk. A few moments in, I am prompted with a dialogue box reading "unable to format the disk." I cannot scan the disk for errors as I'm prompted with a dialogue box reading "the disk must be formatted in order to scan for errors."

With iTunes, I'll hit restore. As it begins restoring, it'll only get a pinch of the status bar filled in before it gives me the classic "An unknown error occurred (1439)." dialogue box.

This loop of errors continuously repeats itself.

I have run diagnostic tests through the iPod's own diagnostic menu, and all functions passed the tests.

I have gone into Disk Management and changed the iPod's drive letter. I have used third-party disk management programs to attempt a fix. All fail or cannot even recognize my iPod.

I am at a loss. I need help so bad.

Is my iPod calling it quits, or is there still hope?

Please let me know. I've been trying for months to find a solution.

Thank you.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Download a program called Fat32Formatter. Close iTunes and any other applications accessing the iPod. Run Fat32Formatter, select your iPod, and format it. You should not use Windows to format the iPod (ie opening up My Computer and right-clicking on the iPod) as Windows will want to use either the NTFS or exFAT file systems. The iPod isn't compatible with either of those, you need to format the iPod's hard drive using the FAT32 file system.

Another option that you can do, as a last resort, would be to take the iPod to an Apple computer running the latest version of iTunes. Someone here had an issue where they formatted their iPod's hard drive using Windows so the file system was NTFS. Fat32Formatter didn't work for them and neither did other disc utilities. So they took their iPod over to a MacBook and it was able to restore the iPod without issues. You can then take the iPod back to your computer and restore it again for Windows use.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 AM

Reclined Lounger

I don't think any program is going to format that drive. Sounds like it has had it and needs replacing.
80Gb drives coming down in price or even upgrade to 120GB , don't go to 160GB or you'll need the deeper back cover on your ipod to accomodate the fatter drive.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members

Topic: Unable to restore or format iPod!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.